- Title: Video shows foreign doctors praising treatment of ailing Chinese dissident Liu
- Date: 10th July 2017
- Summary: SHENYANG CITY, LIAONING PROVINCE, CHINA (JULY 10, 2017) (REUTERS) STATUE OF CHINA'S LATE CHAIRMAN MAO ZEDONG / EXTERIOR OF FIRST HOSPITAL OF CHINA MEDICAL UNIVERSITY EXTERIOR OF HOSPITAL PEOPLE WALKING INTO HOSPITAL
- Embargoed: 24th July 2017 13:02
- Keywords: Liu Xiaobo hospital human rights jail foreign ministry
- Location: BEIJING AND SHENYANG CITY, LIAONING PROVINCE AND HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: BEIJING AND SHENYANG CITY, LIAONING PROVINCE AND HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016P4VWW5
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A video released on social media on Sunday (July 9) shows foreign doctors on the hospital bedside of sick dissident Liu Xiaobo.
A couple of video clips of Liu have appeared on YouTube, which is blocked in China, since his illness came to light.
On Sunday, a new clip shot a day before, was posted, showing two foreign men, apparently German and U.S. doctors. They appear to be praising the quality of care Liu has received.
Liu, 61, was jailed for 11 years in 2009 for "inciting subversion of state power" after he helped write a petition known as "Charter 08" calling for sweeping political reforms.
He was recently moved from jail to a hospital in the city of Shenyang to be treated for late-stage liver cancer.
The 23rd floor of building number 1 of the First Hospital of China Medical University in Shenyang, where friends of Liu say he is being treated, has been sealed off, with access only for patients or family members.
Calls have grown from rights groups and Western governments for China to allow Liu to travel with his wife, Liu Xia, to be treated overseas while the Chinese foreign ministry continued to ask foreign countries to respect their judicial sovereignty.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None