- Title: Corpses litter Mosul streets as Iraqi forces pound I.S. positions
- Date: 10th July 2017
- Summary: DEAD BODY OF ISLAMIC STATE MEMBER LYING AMONG RUBBLE INSIDE DAMAGED BUILDING CORPSE OF ISLAMIC STATE MILITANTS LYING AMONG RUBBLE CORPS OF ANOTHER ISLAMIC STATE MILITANT LYING AMONG RUBBLE CORPSE OF ISLAMIC STATE MILITANT LYING AMONG RUBBLE OF BRICKS
- Embargoed: 24th July 2017 16:43
- Keywords: Battle for Mosul Islamic State conflict remaining IS positions Mosul close to victory liberating Mosul
- Location: OLD CITY, MOSUL, IRAQ
- City: OLD CITY, MOSUL, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA0026P4YIX3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi was set to declare victory over Islamic State in Mosul on Monday (July 10) as only a few dozen militants put up resistance in the city that was the capital of their self-declared caliphate for the past three years.
Gunfire and explosions could be heard as the U.S.-led coalition pounded the remaining few Islamic State positions.
The stench of corpses along Mosul's streets was a reminder of the nearly nine months of gruelling urban warfare required to dislodge Islamic State from the city of 1.5 million.
Seven bodies lay in an alley near a riverbank the militants reached on Sunday (July 9) while attempting to escape.
Much of Mosul has been destroyed in the fighting, with rows of houses flattened by air strikes and centuries-old stone houses gutted by explosions.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None