- Title: Allocating Olympics in both 2024 and 2028 "win, win, win" - Bach
- Date: 10th July 2017
- Summary: **** WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY **** (SOUNDBITE) (English) LOS ANGELES MAYOR, ERIC GARCETTI, SAYING: "We have had two missions, one which is to bring America back to the Olympics and the Olympics back to America and two, to bring Los Angeles back to the Olympics and hopefully the Olympics back to Los Angeles. We know that our Olympic dreams are alive and well. They changed my life in 1984, as they did our bid chairman Casey Wasserman. We were two kids who, as we grew up, found each other and said 'letâ€™s try and do this again.' It is worth it. At this crazy moment in the world, when so much is unsure, letâ€™s bring what we know to be true and good and that is the Olympic movement. The way it unites people, the way it breaks down barriers, the way it becomes bridges when there are too many walls in our world. We welcome the executive board's decision to look at the simultaneous award of two, successive summer games. We think this, as you said, a "win, win, win" and we are very excited, even in that context, to be able to share our unique story with the entire membership of the IOC tomorrow; to share the soul of LA, to give them a taste of the city that has been reborn in just the last few years and last week's evaluation commission report described our bid, and I quote them, as "forward-looking, innovative, vibrant and cool." I guess we made it finally to be the cool kids but we think it captures well why we think LA has been and can be again the ideal Olympic city. A 'games changer' so to speak."
- Embargoed: 24th July 2017 16:19
- Keywords: Olympics 2024 Los Angeles Bach IOC International Olympic Committee Lausanne Eric Garcetti
- Location: LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND
- City: LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Switzerland
- Topics: Olympics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0046P4XK5B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Thomas Bach appeared to suggest on Monday (July 10) that sporting body would award both the 2024 and 2028 Olympic Games together.
Currently, the IOC are only preparing to vote on the host country for the 2014 Games at their next meeting in Peru in September.
The two candidates, Paris and Los Angeles, are both going for the 2024 games but the American city has said they would be open to hosting the event four years later.
At a news conference alongside LA mayor Eric Garcetti, Bach said that if the IOC session voted to allocate both events simultaneously then it would be a "win, win, win".
At the jovial news conference, Garcetti agreed with Bach, appearing to open the door for Los Angeles in 2028.
"At this crazy moment in the world, when so much is unsure, lets bring what we know to be true and good and that is the Olympic movement. The way it unites people, the way it breaks down barriers, the way it becomes bridges when there are too many walls in our world. We welcome the executive board's decision to look at the simultaneous award of two, successive summer games. We think this, as you said, a "win, win, win" and we are very excited," said Garcetti.
Bach also praised the heritage of Los Angeles as an Olympic city, after it hosted the event in both 1932 and 1984.
Representatives from both the LA and Paris bids, including French President Emmanuel Macron, are in Lausanne to present their bids.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None