- Title: Allocating Olympics in both 2024 and 2028 "win, win, win" - Bach
- Date: 10th July 2017
- Summary: **** WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY **** (SOUNDBITE) (English) INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIC COMMITTEE PRESIDENT, THOMAS BACH, SAYING: "Both Los Angeles and Paris are planning to use a record number of existing and temporary facilities and this is in-line with Olympic agenda 2020. So, we have not seen this dimension in the history of the Olympic Games. These proposals lead to a significant cost reduction in the organization of the games and in this way, both Los Angeles and Paris will set a precedent to make the games more feasible and more sustainable in the future." WHITE FLASH (SOUNDBITE) (English) INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIC COMMITTEE PRESIDENT, THOMAS BACH, SAYING: "It was great to see that the Olympic spirit lives on in the city of Los Angeles and in the soul of the mayor of Los Angeles. This is so long after the Olympic Games in 1932 and even more important, of course, after the Olympic Games in 1984, which were a turning point in Olympic history. The candidature of Los Angles 2024 has already refreshed and strengthened this close bond between us. Of course, we have discussed about this candidature because we think that it would be a fantastic opportunity to celebrate this rich Olympic history of Los Angeles and write the next chapter in Olympic history together." BACH AND GARCETTI EMBRACING AND THEN LEAVING
- Embargoed: 24th July 2017 16:19
- Keywords: Olympics 2024 Los Angeles Bach IOC International Olympic Committee Lausanne Eric Garcetti
- Location: LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND
- City: LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Switzerland
- Topics: Olympics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0066P4XK5B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Thomas Bach appeared to suggest on Monday (July 10) that sporting body would award both the 2024 and 2028 Olympic Games together.
Currently, the IOC are only preparing to vote on the host country for the 2014 Games at their next meeting in Peru in September.
The two candidates, Paris and Los Angeles, are both going for the 2024 games but the American city has said they would be open to hosting the event four years later.
At a news conference alongside LA mayor Eric Garcetti, Bach said that if the IOC session voted to allocate both events simultaneously then it would be a "win, win, win".
At the jovial news conference, Garcetti agreed with Bach, appearing to open the door for Los Angeles in 2028.
"At this crazy moment in the world, when so much is unsure, lets bring what we know to be true and good and that is the Olympic movement. The way it unites people, the way it breaks down barriers, the way it becomes bridges when there are too many walls in our world. We welcome the executive board's decision to look at the simultaneous award of two, successive summer games. We think this, as you said, a "win, win, win" and we are very excited," said Garcetti.
Bach also praised the heritage of Los Angeles as an Olympic city, after it hosted the event in both 1932 and 1984.
Representatives from both the LA and Paris bids, including French President Emmanuel Macron, are in Lausanne to present their bids.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None