- Title: Syrian government delegation arrives in Geneva for peace talks
- Date: 10th July 2017
- Summary: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND (JULY 10, 2017) (AGENCY POOL) SYRIAN GOVERNMENT DELEGATION LED BY AL-JAAFARI WALKING INTO BUILDING, BEING GREETED BY AND SHAKING HANDS WITH DE MISTURA AL-JAAFARI AND DE MISTURA WALKING SIDE BY SIDE TO MEETING ROOM AL-JAAFARI IN MEETING ROOM AHEAD OF START OF BILATERAL TALKS SYRIAN GOVERNMENT DELEGATION / U.N. TEAM LED BY DE MISTURA DE MISTURA AT NEGOTIATION TABLE
- Embargoed: 24th July 2017 10:26
- Keywords: Syria talks Staffan De Mistura al-Jaafari government rebels peace civil war
- Location: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
- City: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Switzerland
- Topics: Government/Politics,United Nations
- Reuters ID: LVA0026P4WBWN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: U.N. special envoy to Syria Staffan de Mistura and the Syrian government delegation led by Syrian ambassador to the U.N., Bashar al-Jaafari, held their first meeting on Monday (July 10) in Geneva, as a fresh round of U.N.-sponsored talks aimed at finding a political solution to the six-year war resumed.
More than 400,000 people are estimated to have been killed in the conflict, and the negotiations seek to bring the warring sides closer through discussion of four "baskets": constitution, governance, terrorism and elections.
This new session is the seventh of a series of peace talks rounds which have been held in Switzerland for the past two years, with all of the previous ones resulting in scant progress.
Hours before the start of the talks, however, a U.S. - Russia brokered ceasefire came into effect in southwest Syria, and was still holding, in the first peace-making effort of the war by the U.S. government under President Donald Trump.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None