- Title: Anti-transgender â€˜Free Speech Busâ€™ pulls into Santiago, clashes ensue
- Date: 10th July 2017
- Summary: SANTIAGO, CHILE (JULY 10, 2017) (REUTERS) DEMONSTRATORS AGAINST THE "FREE SPEECH BUS" HOLDING SIGNS AND CREATING A ROADBLOCK DEMONSTRATORS BLOCKING TRAFFIC POLICE INTERMIXED WITH DEMONSTRATORS POLICE WITH DOG UNITS MOVING IN PEOPLE BLOCKING A BUS FROM CIRCULATING VARIOUS OF POLICE DETAINING A PROTESTER GENERAL OF DEMONSTRATION IN GOVERNMENT SQUARE VARIOUS OF DEMONSTRATORS BLOCKING ROAD IN FRONT OF THE LA MONEDA PRESIDENTIAL PALACE DEMONSTRATORS PUTTING UP BARRIERS TO BLOCK ROADWAY VARIOUS OF POLICE USING WATER CANNON TO BREAK UP DEMONSTRATION CITY BUS PASSING THROUGH AREA AFTER IT IS CLEARED OF DEMONSTRATORS AND DEMONSTRATORS DRAGGING BARRICADES (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) SPOKESPERSON FOR THE MOVEMENT FOR INTEGRATION AND HOMOSEXUAL LIBERATION (MOVILH), ROLANDO JIMENEZ, SAYING: "(The bus being here) incites hate. It incites discrimination, violence. You saw what happened with the fanatics who were just here. That's what we want to avoid (verbal clashes). That's why we need a law against inciting hate." DEMONSTRATORS IN FAVOUR OF THE "FREE SPEECH BUS" AND POLICE PATROLLING DEMONSTRATORS AGAINST THE BUS DEMONSTRATING NEARBY (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) RESIDENT WHO SUPPORTS THE "FREEDOM OF SPEECH BUS", MILTON MOLINA, SAYING: "We are defending the family and we say 'no' to gender identity (laws). So long as it unites the Chilean people, we will say 'no' to gender identity." POLICE ON GUARD AS DEMONSTRATOR SHOUTS AND CARRIES SIGN IN SUPPORT OF THE 'FREE SPEECH BUS' DEMONSTRATORS WITH A BANNER READING (Spanish) "LESS CHURCH, MORE STATE, SECULAR AND NON-SEXIST PUBLIC EDUCATION" GENERAL OF DEMONSTRATION IN FRONT OF GOVERNMENT PALACE
- Embargoed: 24th July 2017 19:00
- Keywords: Free Speech Bus free speech Chile gay rights LGBT rights transgender rights LGBT
- Location: SANTIAGO, CHILE
- City: SANTIAGO, CHILE
- Country: Chile
- Topics: Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0026P4YFR7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: An orange bus known worldwide for carrying anti-transgender messaging arrived in Santiago on Monday (July 10) causing clashes between supporters and opponents of its message.
The so-called "Free Speech Bus" is sponsored by conservative organizations and is moving from city to city with its slogan: "Do not mess with my children" emblazoned on its side in Spanish.
Police were deployed in parts of Santiago to control demonstrators for and against the bus message. Water cannon were also activated as protesters tried to block the bus and drag barricades into the street.
Prior to its arrival, Chilean gender rights organizations had circulated a petition to prevent it from entering the country and asked President Michelle Bachelet to keep it out of Chile.
The bus, created by the Spanish NGO Citizen Go, has traveled through Spain, the United States, Colombia and Mexico.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None