- Title: IOC approves awarding both 2024, 2028 Games in September
- Date: 11th July 2017
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (French) PARIS MAYOR, ANNE HIDALGO, SAYING: "My team and I are committed to putting all of our energy, all of our creativity, all my will to reach this agreement, so Paris can also reconnect with this beautiful Olympic adventure, that we have been waiting for 100 years. We want to come back with the Games in Paris, we want our fellow citizens to feel that energy again, like they often do in all of those championships and events organised in Paris and in France, but we want to come back with the Olympic Games."
- Embargoed: 25th July 2017 20:09
- Keywords: Olympics 2024 and 2028 vote Los Angeles Paris Thomas Bach
- Location: LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND
- City: LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Switzerland
- Topics: Olympics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0036P9YERJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The International Olympic Committee moved close to an agreement on Tuesday (July 11) that will allow Paris and Los Angeles to each host the summer Games between now and 2028 and rule out any other cities from bidding.
The two cities were the only ones left in the race to stage the 2024 Games and an IOC session voted that it would seek a "tri-partite agreement" for one host in 2024 and the other in 2028.
The original plan had been to choose one for 2024 at the next session in Lima on Sept. 13, discard the other and start a whole new bidding process for 2028.
For the agreement to work, either one or both cities would have to be willing to accept the 2028 Games if they were not awarded 2024, the IOC said.
The mayors of both cities said they would work towards reaching an agreement while IOC president Thomas Bach said he believed a deal could be struck by August.
Bach said the decision would "ensure the stability of the Olympic Games for 11 years (which) is really in our world something extraordinary." He described it as a "win-win-win" situation.
Should there be no three-way agreement, the vote at the Lima session will be a straightforward selection of only the 2024 host city.
Los Angeles mayor Eric Garcetti, whose city hosted the Games in 1932 and 1984, said the decision was a welcome departure from what he described as the traditional "winner-takes-all" process.
His Paris counterpart Anne Hidalgo said she was committed to reaching an agreement so Paris can host a Games for the first time in 100 years.
Paris, which hosted the 1900 and 1924 Games, failed with bids to host the 1992, 2008 and 2012 Olympics.
Before the vote on Tuesday both Paris and Los Angeles presented their bids to the 83 IOC members present, with the French capital receiving a major boost from the presence of President Emmanuel Macron, who addressed the session.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.