- Title: "Williams" F1 documentary premieres in London
- Date: 12th July 2017
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JULY 11, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF RED CARPET MOVIE POSTER VARIOUS OF FORMULA ONE CAR ON RED CARPET VARIOUS OF WILLIAMS RACING DRIVER FELIPE MASSA (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) RACING DRIVER FELIPE MASSA, SAYING: "Well I think Frank is a genius, he managed to create a team and build a career. I think that all the history he went through to create Williams and make it what it is today, the difficulties, the victories. For me, I always had love and affection and it is a pleasure to know that one day I could be a F1 racing driver and be part of a team such as Williams." FELIPE MASSA (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) RACING DRIVER FELIPE MASSA, SAYING ABOUT THE NEWS OF BRITISH GRAND PRIX POSSIBLY NOT CONTINUING AFTER 2019: "I am sad, Silverstone is a historic place in the history of Formula One and I am sad. I hope that things get resolved and that we carry on racing on Silverstone, a Grand Prix which is so important for England." CANADIAN RACING DRIVER LANCE STROLL TALKING TO REPORTER (SOUNDBITE) (English) WILLIAMS RACING DRIVER LANCE STROLL, SAYING: "You know I sit down with Frank quite often every other week or something. Yeah. I always have a lot of time for Frank, he is a very very funny guy to talk to. We always talk about cars, planes anything with engines and I really enjoy my time with him." STROLL (SOUNDBITE) (English) RACING DRIVER LANCE STROLL, SAYING: "I think it'd be a shame. I think the British Grand Prix is part of the core of Formula One. Without it I think there'd be a big part of the season missing. So I hope that won't be the case. I hope that there will be a British Grand Prix for many years to come. We'll see what happens." STROLL SHAKING HANDS WITH VALTTERI BROTHERS (SOUNDBITE) (English) FORMER WILLIAMS RACING DRIVER VALTTERI BOTTAS, SAYING ABOUT THE NEWS OF BRITISH GRAND PRIX POSSIBLY NOT CONTINUING AFTER 2019 : "Well that would be a real shame because there's so much history with Formula One, it is definitely one of the best Grand Prixs in the calendar and all the drivers like the circuit so many fans come to see, so that atmosphere is great. But I really hope they hopefully get a new contract or something because I will really miss it." BOTTAS TAKING PHOTO WITH A FAN (SOUNDBITE) (English) FORMER WILLIAMS RACING DRIVER VALTTERI BOTTAS, SAYING ABOUT THE NEWS OF BRITISH GRAND PRIX POSSIBLY NOT CONTINUING AFTER 2019: "For me Frank is kind of a hero for me. What he's created from basically zero to such a great Formula One team with great history and so many titles in Formula One, he's a good friend as well." FORMULA ONE DEPUTY TEAM PRINCIPAL CLAIRE WILLIAMS BEING INTERVIEWED (SOUNDBITE) (English) FORMULA ONE DEPUTY TEAM PRINCIPAL CLAIRE WILLIAMS SAYING: "There's been a long project in the making. It's taken us nearly two and half years to get here. But it's a fantastic story. I think a lot of people already know a little bit about the history of our team but there's so much more to it that I think a lot of people realize." WILLIAMS BEING INTERVIEWED (SOUNDBITE) (English) FORMULA ONE DEPUTY TEAM PRINCIPAL CLAIRE WILLIAMS SAYING ABOUT HER FATHER'S ACCIDENT: "For him it's been Formula One that has kept him going and saved him. I think if he didn't have Williams then I think maybe we would be in a very different position at the moment. So, no I think we're all very lucky in our family that Williams was around to keep dad going through those horrible days." MOVIE DIRECTOR MORGAN MATTHEWS TALKING TO PRESS (SOUNDBITE) (English) MOVIE DIRECTOR MORGAN MATTHEWS SAYING: "Huge amount of footage. I mean obviously there's an enormous archive of Formula One footage and then for the early years, It's quite hard often to track down some of that footage and particularly with Frank when he was younger and when he first started out in Formula One because there wasn't an enormous amount of coverage at that time and also because Frank wasn't very successful, so the first 10 years of his career in Formula One there isn't a great deal of footage. So we had to work hard to track that down." VARIOUS OF FORMER WILLIAMS RACING DRIVER DAVID COULTHARD ON RED CARPET FORMER WILLIAMS RACING DRIVER DAMON HILL AMERICAN EXECUTIVE CHAIRMAN OF THE FORMULA ONE GROUP CHASE CAREY MOVIE POSTER / FORMULA ONE CAR BEHIND
- Embargoed: 26th July 2017 08:30
- Keywords: Williams F1 Felipe Massa racing drivers Lance Stroll
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM / UNIDENTIFIED FILM LOCATIONS
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM / UNIDENTIFIED FILM LOCATIONS
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Film,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0026P9YHXB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Documentary "Williams" premiered in pouring rain in London on Tuesday (July 11).
The movie premiere was attended by Williams Formula One deputy team principal Claire Williams, director Morgan Matthews and special guests such as current Williams racing drivers Felipe Massa, Lance Stroll and former drivers Valtteria Bottas, Damon Hill and David Coulthard.
The film shines a light on the family behind the Formula One team and focuses on English businessman and former driver Sir Frank Williams, who is the father of Claire Williams. The 75-year-old former mechanic created the Formula One racing teams, which went on to win nine Constructors' Championships over the past 40 years.
The documentary does not shy away from difficult topics such as the high-profile accident with Brazilian racing driver Ayrton Senna and the 1986 car accident which left Frank Williams tetraplegic.
"Williams", directed by BAFTA-winning director Morgan Matthews, is released on August 4 in the U.K.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None