- Title: Ending Syrian war requires international fight against terrorism, Ja'afari says
- Date: 11th July 2017
- Summary: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND (JULY 11, 2017) (REUTERS) UNITED NATIONS BUILDING
- Embargoed: 25th July 2017 13:14
- Keywords: Bashar al-Ja'afari Syria government De Mistura talks peace
- Location: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
- City: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Switzerland
- Topics: Government/Politics,United Nations
- Reuters ID: LVA0016P9WT3B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The seventh round of U.N.-sponsored indirect Syrian peace talks were continuing on Tuesday (July 11) in Geneva with the Syrian government delegation and experts led by diplomat Bashar al-Ja'afari meeting with their U.N. counterparts and special envoy Staffan de Mistura.
Ja'afari said the political-level talks discussed terrorism, one of the four issues of the Geneva peace process, along with the constitution, governance and elections.
Speaking on Monday, the first day of the five-day round of talks, de Mistura had expressed optimism for the ceasefire brokered between Russia and the United States for southwest Syria.
This new round is the seventh of a series of peace talks which have been held in Switzerland for the past two years, with all of the previous ones resulting in scant progress.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None