- Title: Madonna officially opens pediatric unit in Malawi
- Date: 11th July 2017
- Summary: LOCAL GROUP DANCING ON STAGE MADONNA DANCING
- Embargoed: 25th July 2017 18:44
- Keywords: Madonna Malawi Pediatric Surgery care American singer Mercy James Institute for Paediatric Surgery and Intensive Care
- Location: BLANTYRE, MALAWI
- City: BLANTYRE, MALAWI
- Country: Malawi
- Topics: Celebrities,Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Music
- Reuters ID: LVA0026P9XZRH
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Madonna was hailed as a "symbol of a motherly spirit" by Malawi President Peter Mutharika after the American singer opened a children's hospital named after her adopted daughter Mercy James.
The Mercy James Institute for Paediatric Surgery and Intensive Care located in Blantyre, Malawi's second-largest city, is the first such facility built in the country by Madonna's charity Raising Malawi.
"We will ensure that not only will it be a world-class children's hospital, but also a superior center of learning. This is as much about healing as it is about empowerment," Madonna said at the hospital's official opening.
The singer adopted Malawian children David Banda and Mercy James in 2006 and 2009 respectively and twins Esther and Stella Mwale earlier this year. She has two other children, Lourdes and Rocco, from previous relationships.
Speaking at the event, Mercy James drew applause and ululations from the crowd during her speech. At one point saying "It is a great honour to know this hospital is named after me. What's more important is that it will heal many kids and save many lives." She told the audience.
Madonna established the non-profit Raising Malawi charity in 2006 to provide health and education, particularly for girls. The charity has built 10 schools in Malawi, according to its website.
Madonna criticized Malawi's slow pace of law reform, saying it nearly prevented her from adopting Mercy James.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.