- Title: Special representatives for North Korea Policy meets in Singapore
- Date: 11th July 2017
- Summary: SINGAPORE (JULY 11, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF SHANGRI-LA HOTEL VARIOUS OF SHANGRI-LA HOTEL FLAGS OUTSIDE THE BUILDING SIGN READING (English) "THE 27TH NORTHEAST ASIA COOPERATION DIALOGUE" DIALOGUE REPRESENTATIVES ARRIVING SOUTH KOREAN REPRESENTATIVE ARRIVING JAPANESE DIRECTOR GENERAL OF ASIAN AND OCEANIA AFFAIRS, KENJI KANASUGI, ARRIVING VARIOUS OF OTHER REPRESENTATIVES ARRIVING SOUTH KOREA'S SPECIAL REPRESENTATIVE FOR KOREAN PENINSULA PEACE AND SECURITY AFFAIRS, KIM HONG-KYUN, ARRIVING AND SPEAKING TO REPORTERS OUTSIDE OF HALL SIGN READING (English) "UC INSTITUTE ON GLOBAL CONFLICT AND COOPERATION - PRIVATE MEETING" CLOSED DOOR
- Embargoed: 25th July 2017 03:39
- Keywords: North Korea Policy USA Japan special representatives North Korea 6-party talks South Korea China Russia
- Location: SINGAPORE
- City: SINGAPORE
- Country: Singapore
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016P9VO07
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Special representatives responsible for North Korea kicked off an informal conference in Singapore on Tuesday (July 11).
A U.S. diplomat responsible for North Korea will also participate in the meeting, the U.S. State Department said last week, but North Korean officials, who have attended in the past, will not join this year.
Ambassador Joseph Yun's trip was announced after North Korea on July 4 tested an intercontinental ballistic missile that Pyongyang says can carry a large nuclear warhead and some experts believe has the range to reach Alaska.
The test, the first of its kind by North Korea, triggered an emergency U.N. Security Council meeting and a call for global action by the United States.
Yun, the U.S. State Department's special representative for North Korea policy, will be in Singapore July 11 to 13 to attend the conference of the Northeast Asia Cooperation Dialogue (NEACD), and will then travel to Myanmar.
The North Korean mission to the United Nations said Pyongyang was not sending a delegation to the dialogue.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None