- Title: Dubai bakery creates extravagant Game of Thrones cake
- Date: 11th July 2017
- Summary: DUBAI, UAE (JULY 11, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF MOCK-UP DEPICTING THE GAME OF THRONES IRON THRONE THEME CAKE CREATED BY BROADWAY BAKERY
- Embargoed: 25th July 2017 15:54
- Keywords: Game of Thrones Dubai bakery theme cake TV drama popular series
- Location: DUBAI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
- City: DUBAI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
- Country: United Arab Emirates
- Topics: Living / Lifestyle,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0016P9TH05
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A Dubai-based bakery shop has created an extravagant 4-foot high cake depicting one of Game of Thrones' main characters.
The $27,000 cake, made entirely of sugar fondant and sugar paste, depicts the popular show's Tyrion Lannister sitting on the Iron Throne holding a gold glass of wine.
It weighs almost 120lbs (55kg) and contains approximately 30g of edible gold that were placed in the cake upon the client's request. It was designed to serve around 100 people.
Three weeks were spent to build the elaborate cake for a Dubai client's Game of Thrones-themed party, said the bakery, adding that only the best ingredients were used to make the piece.
"The cake is made from the most purest, most natural, we are using the best ingredients, the finest ingredients from the world. The chocolates are coming from Belgium, they're the finest chocolates on the market, our flour, our sugar, everything is coming the around the world. We got ingredients from America, to Australia and Madagascar. We use pure vanilla beans in our cakes, we don't use the vanilla essence. Nothing is outsourced, we are making everything in-house, we are not buying anything which is packeted or anything that is ready to use, we do everything from scratch," explained Dominic Samuel, Broadway Bakery's head chef.
"This cake took a team of 20 chefs working 4 hours a day, 3 weeks, so that comes to 1,600 man powers, 1,600 hours of man power," he added.
The bakery posted on social media a video showing the making of the cake, which has garnered over 50,000 views to date.
The bakery's communications manager, Zaufy Shan, said theme cakes were what gave her bakery a "special edge".
"If you look carefully at the cake, you can even see the scar on Tyrion, and his eyes. So it's like we have artists here; you know the old conventional bakery and everything, No, it's a work of art and whatever is done, it's done to the maximum potential," she told Reuters.
The Game of Thorne cake was delivered to the client on June 30th for the party held on the same day, according to a marketing executive for the bakery.
A mockup of the cake now graces a corner of the bakery, just in time for Season 7 of Game of Thrones which premiers on HBO on July 16, 2017.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None