- Title: Macron says Paris 2024 Olympic bid embodies "threatened" values
- Date: 11th July 2017
- Summary: LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND (JULY 11, 2017) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** PARIS 2024 BID COMMITTEE, LED BY FRENCH PRESIDENT EMMANUEL MACRON, ARRIVING FOR NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (English) FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON, SAYING: "All the Olympic values are very important in the current environment; responsibility, sustainability, equality, openness. Everything which made this Olympic spirit and which gathers us today. And today these values are at risk because of the increase of selfishness, because of the increase of tensions in our world, because of the doubt in the multilateral world and I think it's very consistent with the French DNA, the French mission and what we want to do today in this current world to be here and to defend as well these global values and these values of Olympism. For these reasons I'm here with this candidature and I'm here precisely to back this project." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (English) FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON, SAYING: "So, we don't want to lose a fourth one, it's easy. I'm here first of all to convey the message that there is a strong unity to back this candidature. I think the team made a very great job. What they prepared, what they did in the past years is very impressive and I decided from the very beginning of my mandate to back this project and to give the maximum in order to promote this candidature. So I'm here precisely to show that the French authorities do back this project and there is a total unity with this project." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (English) FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON, SAYING: "The French people are ready. You know, probably I wouldn't be here if they were not ready. They decided to hope. They decided to make a bid themselves a few weeks ago. So I'm here to convey this message and to say OK, our people are ready to welcome these Games and precisely to endorse all the commitments with these Games." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (English) FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON, SAYING: "I totally agree with what Tony (Paris 2024 bid Co-Chair Tony Estanguet) said. I think we are ready. This candidature was prepared by the whole team for 2024. That's important, this date makes a lot of sense, especially for France but we are ready as well to discuss with the committee and we are very open to work with him on the win, win, win approach described by President Bach. That's it." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS
- Embargoed: 25th July 2017 13:27
- Keywords: French President Emmanuel Macron Paris bid to host the 2024 Olympics values of openness tolerance respect for the environment.
- Location: LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND
- City: LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Switzerland
- Topics: Olympics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0016P9X3CV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: French President Emmanuel Macron on Tuesday (July 11) described Paris' bid to host the 2024 Olympics as the strongest defence of the Games' values of openness, tolerance and respect for the environment, principles he said were at risk.
In its candidacy to host the 2024 Games, Paris is competing against Los Angeles, whose bid has been publicly backed by U.S. President Donald Trump.
Macron has traded barbs with Trump over climate change policy, calling his decision to leave the Paris accord on climate change a mistake.
Trump was not present in Lausanne, though heads of state had never before attended this July meeting for Olympic bids.
Paris, which hosted the 1900 and 1924 Games, is bidding for the fourth time after having missed out on the 1992, 2008 and 2012 Olympics with Macron's presence seen as key in this race.
The IOC will vote later on Tuesday on whether to ratify its executive board's recommendation to award on September 13 both the 2024 and 2028 Games at the same time.
Paris is seen as the favourite to land the 2024 Olympics with Los Angeles having hinted they would accept 2028.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.