- Title: Paris prepares for President Trump's Bastille Day visit
- Date: 12th July 2017
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (FILE - JULY 14, 2016) (REUTERS FOR AGENCY POOL) PLANES FLYING OVER ARC DE TRIOMPHE, EMITTING RED, WHITE AND BLUE SMOKE DURING FRENCH NATIONAL HOLIDAY COMMEMORATIONS
- Embargoed: 26th July 2017 15:38
- Keywords: Paris Trump Macron president Bastille day celebrations preparations
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE / HAMBURG, GERMANY / BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- City: PARIS, FRANCE / HAMBURG, GERMANY / BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- Country: France
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0036PEWO5J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Paris prepared for its yearly July 14 Bastille Day celebrations on Wednesday (July 12), as locals and U.S. citizens reflected on U.S. President Donald Trump's attendance this year, on invitation of his French counterpart, Emmanuel Macron.
President Trump is set to arrive in Paris early Thursday morning (July 13), to commemorate the U.S. entry into World War One 100 years ago in a ceremony laden with pageantry and military pomp. U.S. soldiers will march down the Champs Elysees boulevard beside French servicemen.
U.S. and French officials have said Trump's visit to Paris will allow the leaders to focus on those places where their interests overlap, including resolving the conflict in Syria and combating global terrorism.
However, both political newcomers, who scored upset victories in their presidential elections, have taken very different positions in many areas such as climate change and trade.
Various passers-by on the Champs Elysees Avenue told Reuters TV they thought the visit was a good idea in terms of strengthening Franco-American relations.
Bastille Day commemorates the storming by crowds on July 14, 1789 of the prison where the monarchy's opponents were held, during the start of the French Revolution.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None