- Title: Kid Rock hints online he will run for U.S. Senate
- Date: 13th July 2017
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - REUTERS) ****WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** KID ROCK AT THE VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - NOVEMBER 2010) (REUTERS) KID ROCK AT THE GQ AWARDS
- Embargoed: 27th July 2017 01:37
- Keywords: Kid Rock Michigan U.S. Senate Twitter Facebook Robert James Ritchie conservative
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK AND LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA AND NASHVILLE, TENNESSEEE, UNITED STATES
- City: NEW YORK, NEW YORK AND LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA AND NASHVILLE, TENNESSEEE, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Celebrities,Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA0016PJU5VX
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Recording star Kid Rock, an outspoken supporter of Republican President Donald Trump, hinted in website and social media messages on Wednesday (June 12) that he intends to run for the U.S. Senate in 2018.
The 46-year-old Michigan native drew attention on Twitter and his Facebook page to a "Kid Rock '18 for U.S. Senate" website, featuring a photo of the goateed singer-songwriter seated in a star-spangled chair in dark glasses and white fedora, above the tagline: "Are you scared?"
The site also displays images of a T-shirt, baseball cap and bumper sticker emblazoned with the campaign logo, "Kid Rock for US Senate" and a box of alternating slogans, including, "In Rock We Trust," "Party to the People" and "You Never Met a Politician Quite Like Me."
"I have a ton of emails and texts asking me if this website is real... The answer is an absolute YES," he said on his verified Twitter account. "Stay tuned, I will have a major announcement in the near future."
Born Robert James Ritchie in the Detroit suburb of Romeo, Michigan, he rose to fame in 1998 as his debut album "Devil Without a Cause" sold some 14 million copies, and he gained additional celebrity through his courtship of actress Pamela Anderson and their brief marriage in the 2000s.
While no mention was made in Wednesday's online postings about Rock's political affiliation or even in what state he would run for office, he presumably would seek to challenge Michigan's Democratic incumbent senator, Debbie Stabenow, who is up for re-election in 2018.
In April, Kid Rock joined fellow rocker and conservative activist Ted Nugent and former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin for a White House visit and dinner with Trump.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None