- Title: Former Brazilian President Lula found guilty of corruption
- Date: 12th July 2017
- Summary: ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** LULA AMONGST CROWD WITH MEDIA GATHERED AROUND HIM
- Embargoed: 26th July 2017 18:22
- Keywords: Brazil Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva ruling court prison corruption
- Location: SAO PAULO, RIO DE JANEIRO, AND BRASILIA, BRAZIL
- City: SAO PAULO, RIO DE JANEIRO, AND BRASILIA, BRAZIL
- Country: Brazil
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00B6PEYHQF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Former Brazilian leader Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, who rose from childhood poverty to become a two-term president, was convicted on corruption charges on Wednesday (July 12) in the first of five graft trials he faces.
He was sentenced to nine and a half years in prison. He will remain free on appeal.
The ruling marked a stunning fall for Lula, Brazil's first working-class president who left office six years ago with an 83-percent approval rating. The former union leader won global admiration for transformative social policies that helped reduce stinging inequality in Latin America's biggest country.
Former U.S. President Barack Obama once labelled him the most popular politician on earth.
The verdict represented the highest-profile conviction yet in the sweeping corruption investigation that for over three years has rattled Brazil, revealing a sprawling system of graft at top levels of business and government and throwing the country's political system into disarray.
Judge Sergio Moro found Lula guilty of accepting 3.7 million reais ($1.2 million dollars) worth of bribes from engineering firm OAS SA, the amount prosecutors said the company spent refurbishing a beach apartment for Lula in return for his help winning contracts with state oil company Petroleo Brasileiro.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.