- Title: Syria refusing to engage in transition talks - opposition negotiator
- Date: 12th July 2017
- Summary: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND (JULY 12, 2017) (AGENCY POOL) SYRIAN OPPOSITION DELEGATION LED BY AL-HARIRI BEING GREETED BY U.N. SPECIAL ENVOY FOR SYRIA STAFFAN DE MISTURA AND WALKING TOWARDS MEETING ROOM CAMERAMAN U.N. TEAM LED BY DE MISTURA / SYRIAN OPPOSITION DELEGATION LED BY AL-HARIRI IN MEETING ROOM U.N. TEAM LED BY DE MISTURA VARIOUS OF SYRIAN OPPOSITION DELEGATION LED BY AL-HARIRI
- Embargoed: 26th July 2017 17:44
- Keywords: United Nations Syria talks opposition negotiator De Mistura Nasr Al-Hariri Syria peace talks Syria war conflict
- Location: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
- City: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Switzerland
- Topics: Government/Politics,United Nations
- Reuters ID: LVA0026PEYDS7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The Syrian opposition delegation's chief negotiator said on Wednesday (July 12) that his delegation was providing ideas for the political transition and process in Syria, and was making progress on these matters with U.N. teams during technical meetings, while the Syrian government was "refusing" to seriously engage in the talks.
Nasr al-Hariri said the U.N. should pressure the Syrian government delegation into participating seriously into the process.
Al-Hariri also said that progress was being made to find a unified opposition, and that dialogue had been opened between the High Negotiations Committee and the Moscow and Cairo opposition groups.
The seventh round of U.N.-sponsored indirect Syrian peace talks started on Monday (July 10) for a five-day session, both at technical and political levels. The talks are aimed at finding a political solution to the six-year war in which more than 400,000 people have been killed, but previous rounds held in the past two years have resulted in scant progress.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None