- Title: Adam West, TV's campy Batman in 1960s series, dies at age 88
- Date: 10th June 2017
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - APRIL 29, 2016) (REUTERS) **** WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY **** ACTOR ADAM WEST ARRIVES ON STAGE TO GREET TCM PRESENTER BEN MAKIEWICZ AND 'BATMAN: THE MOVIE' CO-STAR LEE MERIWETHER WIDE OF SWIMMING POOL SCREENING WEST TALKING AND BEING APPLAUDED (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTOR, ADAM WEST, SAYING: "You know I think that any actor that has done something notable is probably pretty happy about it and we worked very hard with the thing and fifty years ago we started so I'm very grateful." PANEL OF MAKIEWICZ, MERIWETHER AND WEST WEST
- Embargoed: 24th June 2017 18:02
- Keywords: Adam West Batman tv show star fame Batman star Adam West Batman dies
- Location: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- City: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Celebrities,Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA0016KP2CEF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Adam West, who earned a place in American pop culture history with his campy portrayal of the title character in the classic 1960s TV series "Batman," has died at age 88, his family said on Saturday (June 10).
West, who was so closely identified with Batman for the rest of his life that it was both a blessing and a curse for him, died on Friday evening after a short struggle with leukemia, his representative told Variety.
"He was the greatest. We'll miss him like crazy," his family said on the actor's Twitter page.
The live-action "Batman" show, starring West along with Burt Ward as his sidekick Robin and a collection of colorful villains, was inspired by a long-running comic book series. It ran only three seasons from 1966 to 1968 on the ABC network, but became a television phenomenon and cult classic. It also spawned a "Batman" feature film in 1966.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None