- Title: British royals depart Bhutan for India
- Date: 16th April 2016
- Summary: DUKE AND THE DUCHESS WAVING AS THEY WALK WITH AN UMBRELLA TOWARDS THE AIRCRAFT A YOUNG BOY AND GIRL IN TRADITIONAL BHUTANESE DRESS WAITING TO GIVE FLOWERS TO THE BRITISH ROYALS WILLIAM AND KATE ACCEPTING FLOWERS FROM THE CHILDREN, CLIMBING THE STEPS OF THE AIRCRAFT, WAVING GOODBYE BHUTANESE OFFICIALS STANDING AT THE TARMAC AND LOOKING AT THE DEPARTING ROYALS PLANE WITH THE ROYALS TAKING OFF FROM THE RUNWAY (SOUNDBITE) (English) NORBU WANGCHUK, BHUTAN'S EDUCATION MINISTER WHO CAME TO THE AIRPORT TO SEE OFF THE DUKE AND DUCHESS OF CAMBRIDGE, SAYING: "The Duke and the Duchess wanted me to tell the people of Bhutan that they had a very good time, a very happy time here in the country." BHUTAN'S NATIONAL FLAG FLUTTERING IN THE AIR
- Embargoed: 30th April 2016 08:38
- Keywords: India Taj Mahal Cambridge royals British
- Location: PARO, BHUTAN
- City: PARO, BHUTAN
- Country: Bhutan
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Rowing
- Reuters ID: LVA0034DM97IF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Britain's Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, William and Catherine left Bhutan on Saturday (April 16) after a two-day visit to head back to India and see the Taj Mahal.
The Bhutan trip brought together the British royals and Bhutan's glamorous young royal couple for the first time.
Bhutan's fifth king, Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck, and Queen Jetsun Pema showed the British royals around an imposing 17th century Dzong after a colourful welcome ceremony. The royals also enjoyed a game of archery, trekked to Bhutan's most sacred monastery.
"The Duke and the Duchess wanted me to tell the people of Bhutan that they had a very good time, a very happy time here in the country," said Norbu Wangchuk, Bhutan's education minister who sent off the couple.
Their week-long tour ends back in India on Saturday at the Taj Mahal, revisiting the scene of a solo - and much photographed - visit in 1992 by the late Princess Diana.
William's mother, the late Princess Diana, visited in 1992 and was memorably photographed sitting alone on a bench on front of the marble mausoleum, in an image that came to symbolise her unhappy marriage.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None