- Title: 'Pirates' looks to woo Chinese moviegoers after Shanghai world premiere
- Date: 12th May 2017
- Summary: DEPP SEATED WITH ACTOR JAVIER BARDEM (LEFT) AND ACTOR GEOFFREY RUSH (RIGHT) MEDIA FILMING (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTOR, JOHNNY DEPP, SAYING: "I tried to push it a little more to try and see what... to, you know, find the humour in these and find the absurdities, you know, and represent that thing that we'd all like to be, just stupid and nuts, like a child." MEDIA SITTING (FROM LEFT) PRODUCER JERRY BRUCKHEIMER, DIRECTOR ESPEN SANDBERG, ACTOR ORLANDO BLOOM, AND BARDEM SITTING ON STAGE (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTOR, JAVIER BARDEM, SAYING: "I loved it (the role). I thought it was very powerful and also, I mean, to have that on your character really tells you, I mean it helps you to create a character like that. And I wore three hours (of) makeup everyday, which is not that long actually." MEDIA FILMING (FROM LEFT) BARDEN, DEPP, RUSH, ACTOR BRENTON THWAITES, DIRECTOR JOACHIM RONNING, AND SCRIPTWRITER JEFF NATHANSON SITTING ON STAGE (SOUNDBITE) (English) PRODUCER OF PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN 5, JERRY BRUCKHEIMER, SAYING: "I think about it for a long time and we keep coming back to it because we love Jack Sparrow, we love these characters, and we're so thrilled to have Javier join the family and Brenton. So, this is a great opportunity to come here in China for the first Hollywood premiere of the movie here to bring these characters and these wonderful actors and directors and writers here for you to see them in person." MEDIA SITTING, FILMING
- Embargoed: 26th May 2017 10:43
- Keywords: Disney Javier Bardem Johnny Depp Orlando Bloom film Dead Men Tell No Tales Pirates of the Caribbean
- Location: SHANGHAI, CHINA / UNIDENTIFIED FILM LOCATIONS
- City: SHANGHAI, CHINA / UNIDENTIFIED FILM LOCATIONS
- Country: China
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Film
- Reuters ID: LVA0026GJ8L71
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Johnny Depp and Javier Bardem, part of a star-studded cast for Walt Disney Co.'s latest outing of "Pirates of the Caribbean", said they relished their roles at a news conference in Shanghai on Friday (May 12), a day after the film's world premiere.
The film's lead, Depp, who reprises his role as Jack Sparrow, said he pushed to find humour and absurdity for his character and Bardem, who plays the villainous Captain Salazar, said he loved his role.
The China premiere of "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales" puts it among a small number of U.S. films to screen for the first time in China. Films like "Point Break" and "Iron Man 3" have premiered or opened earlier in China.
Despite a slowdown in box office sales in the Chinese market, U.S. studios are increasingly looking to it to boost global revenues, though they face issues from a local quota system for imported films to questions over censorship.
The four previous "Pirates of the Caribbean" films, the most recent in 2011, have generated over $3.7 billion in worldwide ticket sales, according to the website Box Office Mojo.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None