- Title: Mexican singer Luis Miguel surrenders to U.S. marshals
- Date: 2nd May 2017
- Summary: MORE OF MIGUEL DURING CONCERT
- Embargoed: 16th May 2017 21:05
- Keywords: California Los Angeles arrested singer Mexico Luis Miguel
- Location: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- City: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Music
- Reuters ID: LVA0046F5DIKJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS MATERIAL WHICH WAS ORIGINALLY 4:3
Mexican singer Luis Miguel turned himself in to U.S. authorities and was released on bond on Tuesday (May 2) after an arrest warrant was issued for him in April in a case where he is suspected of failing to pay more than $1 million dollars to his former manager.
The Grammy Award-winning singer, whose full name is Luis Miguel Gallego Basteri, appeared at federal court in Los Angeles on Tuesday.
The arrest warrant had been issued for failure to appear at court hearings in the case, the U.S. Marshals Service in Los Angeles said.
There was no lawyer listed for Miguel in federal court filings.
The singer was ordered by a U.S. judge in New York to pay the money to the former manager, William Brockhaus, and the case was later transferred to federal court in California.
Forty-seven-year-old Miguel is an icon in Latin America and is often referred to as El Sol de Mexico (The Sun of Mexico). He has sold over 100 million records worldwide and performed in a wide range of musical styles, including pop, ballads, boleros and mariachi.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.