- Title: Roger Moore's Swiss resort mourns loss of "extraordinary" gentleman
- Date: 24th May 2017
- Summary: VARIOUS OF KALAJDZIC LOOKING AT PICTURE (SOUNDBITE) (French) PIZZERIA OWNER, ALEKSANDER KALAJDZIC, SAYING: "He lived his life just as a normal person would. He invited us several times to his home, he would have a little party at his chalet. We found ourselves sometimes among political and business personalities from the region, mingled with very simple and ordinary people from here - a vendor from a shop, a coffee server." TABLES IN PIZZERIA WITH MOORE'S FAVOURITE TABLE AT TOP RIGHT MOORE'S FAVOURITE TABLE ROSES ON TABLE (SOUNDBITE) (French) PIZZERIA OWNER, ALEKSANDER KALAJDZIC, SAYING: "I am shivering, talking about him, knowing he is gone and doesn't belong to this world anymore. We really will remember him in our hearts for a long time, and will remember him as a sir, as a real gentleman." CRANS AMBASSADOR HOTEL VARIOUS OF FRIEND OF MOORE FOR 20 YEARS AND HIS RIGHT-HAND MAN IN THE REGION, JORG ROMANG, LOOKING AT PICTURES OF MOORE
- Embargoed: 7th June 2017 19:06
- Keywords: James Bond death Switzerland Roger Moore
- Location: CRANS-MONTANA, SWITZERLAND
- City: CRANS-MONTANA, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Switzerland
- Topics: Celebrities,Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA0056I789C7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: FOR ADDITIONAL FILE OF ROGER MOORE PLEASE REFER TO EDIT 2224-PEOPLE-MOORE/ SENT ON MAY 23, 2017
Residents from the Swiss Alpine municipality of Crans-Montana, where Roger Moore spent the final years of his life, mourned on Wednesday (May 24) the loss of what they described as an "exceptional" and kind gentleman after the James Bond actor died on Tuesday (May 23) at the age of 89.
Moore settled in the ski resort in the heart of the Swiss Alps almost twenty years ago where he enjoyed, according to close friends, the privacy of Swiss people and the lifestyle the country provided.
His 12 years as action man 007, the fictitious spy with a voracious appetite for danger and sex, made Moore a millionaire and a heartthrob the world over, though in reality he was a shy, private man who found some of Bond's escapades embarrassing.
According to Crans-Montana inhabitants, Moore behaved like any other resident in the municipality, going to shops, restaurants, and always smiling and being kind and pleasant to everyone.
Owner of local pizzeria "Le Michelangelo" Aleksander Kalajdzic said Moore would eat at the restaurant with his wife Kristina Tholstrup several times a week, and would always say hello to clients and staff before taking his seat.
He also took part in regional activities, and was happy to use his well-known name to promote local events, his friend Jorg Romang told Reuters TV.
"I quite like to think and say that the world gentleman was created after Roger Moore," Romang, who met the film star when he gave Moore ski lessons 20 years ago, said.
The municipality is considering organising an official tribute in memory of one of its best known inhabitants.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None