- Title: Rachel Weisz nearly gets crushed by horse on "My Cousin Rachel" set
- Date: 8th June 2017
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JUNE 6, 2017) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) RACHEL WEISZ, ACTRESS, ON WHAT SHE LIKES/DISLIKES ABOUT HER CHARACTER, 'RACHEL', SAYING: "I like that the character's contradictory. I like that she can be very kind and loving and nurturing, but she's also got a temper on her, so when she feels like Philip's sort of taking the mickey out of her and is trying to buy her, she really loses her temper." LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JUNE 7, 2017) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) SAM CLAFLIN, ACTOR, ON WHETHER LOVE IS BLIND OR PHILIP IS NAIVE, SAYING: "His experience with women is very, very limited. he's just new to it, so if you can remember your, you know, going back to high school and how teenage boys used to be when they were falling in love, or experiencing women for the first time, I suppose imagine that ten years on, and kind of the pent up kind of anger and sort of confusion and mystery surrounding women." LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JUNE 6, 2017) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) HOLLIDAY GRAINGER, ACTRESS, ON WHAT HER CHARACTER LOUISE'S MOTIVES ARE, SAYING: "Louise, her primary motive - or that she'd like to think for herself - is Philip and his well-being because she loves him and loves him like a brother and then later in life, like now, loves him and wants to be with him, so therefore she has kind of a lot of jealousy and bits of resentment towards Rachel, but I do think she has this kind of strong moral compass, whereby she would never want to let that affect her and she would never want to push that on Philip." (SOUNDBITE) (English) IAIN GLEN, ACTOR, ON HOW RACHEL AFFECTS THOSE AROUND HER, SAYING: "The thing is the character Rachel (Weisz) plays called Rachel - "My Cousin Rachel" - is just very transforming, she's very transforming of atmospheres and affects people. So in a way I think you're right, that everyone's ground shifts and there's this line that I've sort of forgotten about - you made me think about it - where I say at one point, very disturbed by his (Philip's) behaviour, I say have you thought of, have you proposed to her, have you thought of marrying her, and he very quickly says, have you, and sort of throws it back, sort of highlighting the fact that I've been rather seduced by her and kind of my world slightly lights up, my own little world, you know his character, when she's present and she does that." (SOUNDBITE) (English) RACHEL WEISZ, ACTRESS, ON HOW TO DESCRIBE "MY COUSIN RACHEL", SAYING: "It's a romantic, Gothic, dark, suspenseful, mysterious thriller. That's a lot of adjectives, but I think it can handle that description. I stand by that."
- Embargoed: 22nd June 2017 11:00
- Keywords: My Cousin rachel Rachel Weisz Iain Glen Sam Claflin Holliday Grainger Daphne Du Maurier
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM / UNIDENTIFIED FILMING LOCATIONS
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM / UNIDENTIFIED FILMING LOCATIONS
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Film
- Reuters ID: LVA0066KA54JX
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Actress Rachel Weisz told Reuters she nearly got flatten by a horse trained on TV series "Game of Thrones" to die.
The star of new period mystery drama/romance, "My Cousin Rachel", explained the horse had been trained to 'lay down dead' when the left rein was pulled, and it buckled under her when she was riding side-saddle during filming. Co-star and Ser Jorah Mormont in "Game of Thrones", Iain Glen, who plays Kendall in "My Cousin Rachel", thinks he mounted the very same horse during his seven-year period playing the exiled knight in the TV series.
"The lady who was in charge of the horse was the same one as we have on (Game of) Thrones, and I think the horse might have been one that I mounted during the course of the last seven years of so.", told the Scottish actor.
Sam Claflin who is Philip, Rachel's younger, less worldly-wise cousin in "My Cousin Rachel", revealed his 'darkest moment' during filming was when he had to appear fully naked, especially challenging in water scenes. He described his character's response to the mysterious and alluring Rachel as like that of a 'high school boy' experiencing women for the very first time.
Weisz, Claflin and Glen were joined by actress Holliday Grainger in London to discuss the interwoven relationships and disturbing sexual tension at play in the dark, layered romance adapted from a Daphne du Maurier novel of the same name by writer-director Roger Michell. The story is of a young Englishman (Philip) who plots revenge against his mysterious and beautiful cousin (Rachel), believing that she murdered his guardian. His feelings become complicated as he finds himself falling helplessly and obsessively in love with her.
"My Cousin Rachel" is released in UK cinemas on June 9.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None