- Title: Pearl Jam are latest act to cancel gigs in North Carolina
- Date: 19th April 2016
- Summary: RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL (FILE - DECEMBER 4, 2005) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PERFORMANCE BY PEARL JAM
- Embargoed: 3rd May 2016 03:20
- Keywords: cancellation concert HB2 LGBT North Carolina Pearl Jam
- Location: INTERNET; RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL
- City: INTERNET; RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Music
- Reuters ID: LVA0024E189QL
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: U.S. rock band Pearl Jam have canceled shows in North Carolina over a new state law they call discriminatory against transgender people, the groups said on Monday.
The cancellations make the bands the latest entertainment acts to take a stance against the measure, known as House Bill 2.
"The HB2 law that was recently passed is a despicable piece of legislation that encourages discrimination against an entire group of American citizens," Pearl Jam, a pioneering grunge rock group, said in a handwritten statement posted on its Facebook page.
Pearl Jam had a Wednesday concert scheduled in Raleigh.
North Carolina last month became the first state to require transgender people to use restrooms and locker rooms in schools and other public facilities that correspond with their birth gender instead of the gender with which they identify.
Former Beatles drummer Ringo Starr, rocker Bruce Springsteen and performance group Cirque du Soleil have canceled North Carolina shows to protest the law. More than 160 business executives have signed a Human Rights Campaign letter pushing for it to be repealed.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.