- Title: 'Wonder Woman' launches with tightened security
- Date: 26th May 2017
- Summary: ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** GADOT BEING PHOTOGRAPHED
- Embargoed: 9th June 2017 04:40
- Keywords: premiere terrorism Manchester Chris Pine Patty Jenkins superhero Gal Gadot Wonder Woman
- Location: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES; UNIDENTIFIED FILMING LOCATIONS
- City: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES; UNIDENTIFIED FILMING LOCATIONS
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Film
- Reuters ID: LVA0056IH4IMF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Following the suicide bombing in Manchester which killed 22 people, the world premiere of 'Wonder Woman' in Hollywood went ahead on Thursday (May 25) but with heightened security.
The scheduled European premiere in London, which was due to take place on May 31, was cancelled following the attack.
Actress Gal Gadot, who plays the iconic superheroine, said she felt "awful" and "very sad."
"For me, coming from Israel, I'm familiar unfortunately with these types of events and I think it was a good idea not to do the premiere in London," Gadot told Reuters at the Los Angeles premiere.
Her director, 'Monster''s Patty Jenkins, said it didn't bother her at all to cancel the London premiere and added "All of our eyes on the UK right now and we're heartbroken. It's not the time to celebrate anything and I'm only happy that we really did make a movie about love and trying to be better people. That's the message that needs to be out in the world right now but it's not a time to celebrate anything else."
'Wonder Woman' is about the character before she became the iconic DC Comics superheroine. After a pilot (Chris Pine) crash lands on her isolated island, Diana (Gal Gadot) decides to leave to fight alongside him and in the process learns about her powers and abilities.
The film, which also stars Robin Wright, Connie Nielsen and Lucy Davis, goes on release in the US on June 2.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None