- Title: Pirelli calendar stars walk the red carpet at Paris gala dinner
- Date: 29th November 2016
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (NOVEMBER 29, 2016) (REUTERS) ****WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** (L-R) PROFESSOR ANASTASIA IGNATOVA (WHO FEATURES IN PIRELLI CALENDAR), PIRELLI CEO MARCO TRONCHETTI PROVERA, ACTRESS HELEN MIRREN, MODEL AFEF JNIFEN, ACTRESS NICOLE KIDMAN AND PHOTOGRAPHER PETER LINDBERGH POSING ON RED CARPET JNIFEN AND KIDMAN POSING VARIOUS OF KIDMAN AND MIRREN'S HUSBAND TAYLOR HACKFORD ON RED CARPET LINDBERGH AND ACTRESS CHARLOTTE RAMPLING (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTRESS CHARLOTTE RAMPLING, SAYING: "Yeah, itâ€™s not realistic at all so it's just great to see women with not much makeup on looking just not necessarily that extraordinarily perfect and fantastic but just looking great and natural." REPORTER ASKING: "Did you ever feel those pressures when you were younger yourself, trying to look kind of flawless?" RAMPLING SAYING: "No it wasn't the same in the 70's, 60's, 70's and 80's when I was young, it wasn't the same. It become that, so it's nice to come back to photography like Peter and the fact that Pirelli have decided to do it this way is actually very important I think." MIRREN POSING (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTRESS HELEN MIRREN, SAYING: "As actresses we're so used to having makeup and great lighting and being made to look as beautiful as we possibly can be because that's part of our job sometimes, and to really let go of that, which actually as an actress I did quite a long time ago, and in order to progress as an actress you have to let go of that because otherwise you're doomed you know." MIRREN AND HACKFORD POSING (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTRESS HELEN MIRREN, SAYING: "In still photography we're very used to being fantastic lighting and the best makeup artists in the world and great clothes and all the rest of it, so when all that's taken away, in my shot you know I'm wearing a hairy old blanket basically but you know it's quite jarring." (L-R) RAMPLING, LINDBERGH, MIRREN AND HACKFORD PIRELLI CEO MARCO TRONCHETTI PROVERA, ACTRESS UMA THURMAN AND LINDBERGH POSING THURMAN POSING PROVERA AND LINDEBERGH POSING (SOUNDBITE) (English) PHOTOGRAPHER PETER LINDBERGH, SPEAKING ABOUT UPCOMING VICTORIA'S SECRET FASHION SHOW: "I don't want to say anything bad about this because I have done it for one time, but this is exactly what we get rid of for this year ('s calendar)." PROFESSOR OF POLITICAL THEORY AT MOSCOW STATE UNIVERSITY OF INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS, ANASTASIA IGNATOVA, POSING CAMERAS JOURNALIST CLARE BALDING POSING PHOTOGRAPHER ELLEN VON UNWERTH POSING LINGERIE DESIGNER CHANTAL THOMASS POSING MEDIA BY RED CARPET SIGN FOR PIRELLI CALENDAR 2017 RECEPTION AREA FOR PIRELLI CALENDAR 2017
- Embargoed: 13th December 2016 22:35
- Keywords: Charlotte Rampling Uma Thurman Helen Mirren Nicole Kidman calendar Pirelli
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Celebrities,Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Human Interest / Brights / Odd News
- Reuters ID: LVA0015AI3EX9
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hollywood actresses Nicole Kidman, Uma Thurman, Helen Mirren and Charlotte Rampling walked the red carpet at the Pirelli calendar gala dinner in Paris on Tuesday (November 29).
The stars are among 14 internationally-renowned actresses, also including Kate Winslet, Julianne Moore and Lupita Nyong'o, to feature in the latest edition of the calendar shot by German photographer Peter Lindbergh.
Lindbergh also included a fifteenth person in the calendar - Anastasia Ignatova, professor of Political Theory at Moscow State University of International Relations, who also graced the red carpet.
The simple, black and white pictures of the celebrities were unveiled at a press conference earlier in the day. The stripped back photographs show the actresses wearing minimal makeup in a bid to portray 'natural beauty and femininity'.
The Pirelli calendar is known for its images of scantily-clad models.
Asked about the pressures young models might feel today to achieve the perception of a perfect image, Ramping said:
"Yeah, it's not realistic at all so it's just great to see women with not much makeup on looking just not necessarily that extraordinarily perfect and fantastic but just looking great and natural."
"It wasn't the same in the 70's, 60's, 70's and 80's when I was young, it wasn't the same. It become that, so it's nice to come back to photography like Peter and the fact that Pirelli have decided to do it this way is actually very important I think," she added.
Meanwhile, Mirren called the process of stripping away from lights, makeup and clothes for the shoot "jarring".
The French capital is gearing up for another glamourous event on Wednesday night - the Victoria's Secret fashion show, which will see supermodels strut down the runway in lingerie embellished in Swarovski crystals.
"This is exactly what we get rid of for this year ('s calendar)," Lindebergh said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None