- Title: Directors discuss their documentary about artist Chris Burden
- Date: 12th May 2017
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (MAY 2, 2017) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) DIRECTOR TIMOTHY MARRINAN SAYING: "He was a really nice, sweet guy who was very thoughtful, very intelligent and just getting to know him personally and see what he was like was really nice and surprising I think."
- Embargoed: 26th May 2017 01:25
- Keywords: interview Richard Dewey LACMA art film Urban Light documentary Chris Burden Timothy Marrinan Metropolis Los Angeles
- Location: BEVERLY HILLS, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES / UNIDENTIFIED FILMING LOCATIONS
- City: BEVERLY HILLS, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES / UNIDENTIFIED FILMING LOCATIONS
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Film
- Reuters ID: LVA0086GECCI5
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A documentary about the late art-world provocateur Chris Burden is hitting theaters after receiving acclaim on the festival circuit.
The film, simply titled "Burden," looks at his work, from performance art to iconic installations, as well as exploring him as a complex, ever-evolving individual. One of the most admired artists of his generation, he started out in the 1970s with shocking performances that included having himself shot and crucified on the back of a VW bug car. His later work includes iconic, and less controversial, pieces such as an assemblage of illuminated, antique streetlights outside the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Urban Light which has gone on to become one of the best known landmarks in the city and has featured in scores of films and TV shows.
"Burden," which marks the documentary debut of Richard Dewey and Timothy Marrinan, is available to stream and download and goes into limited theatrical release on May 12.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None