- Title: U.S. presidential election fresh in mind of International Emmy attendees
- Date: 22nd November 2016
- Summary: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (NOVEMBER 21, 2016) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** WINGER AND STEFFENS HOLDING EMMY STATUETTE CAST AND CREW OF "DEUTSCHLAND 83" JUMPING ON STAGE (SOUNDBITE) (English) JORG WINGER, CREATOR OF "DEUTSCHLAND 83" SAYING: "It's just a. I guess the high point for us, we have won a lot of awards, but this one is incredibly precious."
- Embargoed: 6th December 2016 07:01
- Keywords: International Emmy Award Alan Cumming Donald Trump International Emmys
- Location: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES / UNIDENTIFIED LOCATIONS
- City: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES / UNIDENTIFIED LOCATIONS
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Television
- Reuters ID: LVA00859IXQ31
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The annual International Emmy Awards was held at its customary location of the midtown Hilton hotel in New York on Monday (November 21). But this year ceremony follows just weeks on the heels of the U.S. presidential election that resulted in the surprise win of Republican nominee Donald Trump who celebrated his victory at the same location, a fact that didn't escape most guests.
From the red carpet to the host stand, each attendee seemed to have an opinion of the new President-elect of the United States.
Prior to the awards show, a puppet in the likeness of anti-apartheid icon Desmond Tutu, the star of the South African comedy show "Puppet Nation ZA" said that he prefers "Mickey to Donald."
Scottish actor Alan Cumming, the host of the 44th International Emmy Awards ceremony shared his thoughts during the opening remarks.
"In case you didn't know, I feel it is my moral obligation to inform you on November 8 this hall was the venue for one of the darkest, most negative and utterly destructive moments in the history of this country," he told the room filled with guests from 15 different countries.
"So tonight is not just about giving out awards for excellence, it's about extinguishing bad energy and bigotry. Every one of you who walks on this stage to accept an honor, is also kicking away the foul spirits that once reigned here," he added.
German and British programs led the night with three Emmys each. Germany took home the Best Actress, Documentary and Drama Series categories, while the UK bagged the international accolade for Best Actor, Comedy and TV Movie categories.
Krishnendu Majumdar, producer of "Hoff The Record" starring David Hasselhoff that won the best Comedy award, said that laughter is a powerful remedy for people feeling hurt by the recent events including Brexit and the US election.
"I think comedy is something that is hopefully an antidote to all of that. And if Donald Trump is becoming the president of the US, who knows 2020 David Hasselhoff might," he told Reuters.
Brazil took home the Telenovela category, Japan the Arts Programming, Sweden the Non-Scripted Entertainment and the United States the Non-English Language US Primetime Program.
The Academy also honored two women in media this year, with the International Emmy Founders Award going to Shonda Rhimes, writer and Executive Producer behind global hit series such as Grey's Anatomy, Scandal and Private Practice, and the International Emmy Directorate Award going to Maria Rorbye Ronn, Chief Executive Officer and of the Danish Broadcasting Corporation.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None