- Title: Designer Carolina Herrera laments murder of nephew in Venezuela
- Date: 13th May 2017
- Summary: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (FILE - FEBRUARY 13, 2017) (REUTERS) FASHION DESIGNER CAROLINA HERRERA BACKSTAGE WITH HER MODELS VARIOUS OF HERRERA SITTING AND WATCHING FASHION SHOW
- Embargoed: 27th May 2017 20:28
- Keywords: ransom kidnapping murder Carolina Herrera
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, U.S.A. AND CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- City: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, U.S.A. AND CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- Country: Venezuela
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime,Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA0036GT74N7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Venezuela-born fashion designer Carolina Herrera on Saturday (May 13) lamented the killing of her nephew in the crisis-torn country, in what authorities called an apparent kidnapping.
State prosecutors said the bodies of businessmen Reinaldo Herrera, 34, and Fabrizio Mendoza, 31, were found late on Thursday in a vehicle abandoned along the highway connecting Caracas to the Caribbean coast.
"Our only hope is that the tragic assassination of our young nephew, Reinaldo and his colleague, Fabrizio will serve to mitigate the terrible carnage and murders that are committed against our youth in Venezuela," Herrera, 78, wrote on the Instagram account of her fashion label.
Venezuela, which has been rocked by anti-government protests for the past six weeks, has long ranked among the world's most violent countries.
Opposition leaders accuse the socialist government of President Nicolas Maduro of delaying elections to avoid losing power amid an economic crisis marked by triple-digit inflation and chronic food shortages. They also accuse Maduro of running roughshod over the National Assembly, where the opposition won a majority in 2015.
Maduro says his country is the victim of an "economic war" waged by opposition businessmen with the support of Washington.
"The Electoral Results must be respected. The Communist Dictatorship must go," Herrera, who lives in New York, wrote in her Instagram post.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None