- Title: Clint Eastwood marks 25th anniversary of 'Unforgiven' in Cannes
- Date: 20th May 2017
- Summary: CANNES, FRANCE (MAY 20, 2017) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF DIRECTOR AND ACTOR CLINT EASTWOOD SPEAKING TO PEOPLE EASTWOOD WALKING IN EASTWOOD LOOKING ON EASTWOOD WALKING AWAY FANS (SOUNDBITE) (English) DIRECTOR AND ACTOR, CLINT EASTWOOD, SAYING: "I'd like to congratulate Thierry (Fremaux) and Pierre (Lescure) for the 70th anniversary of the Cannes film festival, it's become quite an event, and the 25th -- I didn't realise until I was reminded, that this is the 25th year since 'Unforgiven', 'Impitoyable' (in French) was released, because it seemed to me like it was five years ago." VARIOUS OF EASTWOOD AND FESTIVAL DIRECTOR THIERRY FREMAUX ON STAGE (SOUNDBITE) (English) DIRECTOR AND ACTOR CLINT EASTWOOD SAYING: "I always thought this would be, when I read the script 25 years ago, I always thought that this would be a good last western for me to do, and it was the last western, because I had never read one that worked as well as this one since that, but who knows, maybe something will come up in the future." PEOPLE STANDING (SOUNDBITE) (English) DIRECTOR AND ACTOR, CLINT EASTWOOD, SAYING: "Anyway, I'm glad to be here, in France, my second home, I love it, let's watch the film."
- Embargoed: 3rd June 2017 17:03
- Keywords: Cannes Unforgiven Clint Eastwood
- Location: CANNES, FRANCE / VARIOUS FILM LOCATIONS
- City: CANNES, FRANCE / VARIOUS FILM LOCATIONS
- Country: France
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Film
- Reuters ID: LVA0016HN7BD9
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Renowned filmmaker Clint Eastwood marked the 25th anniversary of his western 'Unforgiven' on Saturday (May 20) at the 70th Cannes film festival.
The film portrays William Munny, played by Eastwood, an aging outlaw and killer who takes on one more job, years after he had turned to farming. The film also stars Gene Hackman, Morgan Freeman and Richard Harris. It won Eastwood an Oscar for 'Best Picture'.
Eastwood will conduct a masterclass on filmmaking at the Cannes film festival on Sunday (May 21).
This year's films in competition also include Sofia Coppola's "The Beguiled," a remake of Eastwood's 1971 American Civil War tale of sexual tension.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None