- Title: Sanchez talk of the town as Arsenal prepare to meet Bayern
- Date: 18th July 2017
- Summary: SHANGHAI, CHINA (JULY 18, 2017) (REUTERS) ****WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF BAYERN MUNICH MANAGER, CARLO ANCELOTTI, AND BAYERN MUNICH FORWARD, THOMAS MUELLER, SEATED FOR NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (English) BAYERN MUNICH MANAGER, CARLO ANCELOTTI, SAYING: "We talked about (Alexis) Sanchez in the past, in the last two months. After that I think that the club spoke about this but there was not the opportunity... for transfer, and so we thought about other players. That's it." MEDIA AT NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (English) BAYERN MUNICH MANAGER, CARLO ANCELOTTI, SAYING: "We didn't buy James (Rodriguez) to replace anyone. We bought James to have a better team and I think that with James we have a team with better quality and also James knows that if he doesn't deserve to play, he doesn't play, he goes on the bench, as a lot of players go because we have a lot of competition in the team. This is good for the team." (SOUNDBITE) (German) BAYERN MUNICH FORWARD THOMAS MUELLER, SAYING: "That is of course a highly interesting question. Made to cause some headlines. But that's why you followed us here. To answer the question. Of course we have a player now who can also play centre. And there are a lot of players on offer now for the centre position. That makes the coach happy. He can chose now from so many high quality players. But in general he is a player who makes us stronger, who brings us to the top. And who will offer more options in important games. But as to who will walk onto the pitch in March, April, May, well that's for the boss here to decide. What it will mean for me, we will see. There's not much more to say from my side." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS VARIOUS OF ANCELOTTI AND MUELLER LEAVING NEWS CONFERENCE ANCELOTTI AT TRAINING BAYERN MUNICH TRAINING UNDERWAY JAMES RODRIGUEZ AND TEAMMATES VARIOUS OF TRAINING UNDERWAY SPECTATORS IN STANDS FRANCK RIBERY DURING TRAINING TRAINING UNDERWAY JAMES RODRIGUEZ DURING TRAINING TRAINING UNDERWAY VARIOUS OF ARSENAL MANAGER, ARSENE WENGER, SEATED AT NEWS CONFERENCE MEDIA AT NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (English) ARSENAL MANAGER, ARSENE WENGER, SAYING: "Not really. Every case is different. (Robin) Van Persie was going 30-31 we he left. He had only one year contract and Sanchez is younger. It's difficult to speak at the moment about that. The decision has been made and we will stick to that." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (English) ARSENAL MANAGER, ARSENE WENGER, SAYING: "The expectation is for us to deliver a quality game and to come out of the game with more confidence. That means that we play with quality that we have shown in the two first games and that as well we win the game." WENGER STANDING TO LEAVE NEWS CONFERENCE ARSENAL TRAINING UNDERWAY MESUT OZIL AT TRAINING WENGER AT TRAINING ALEXANDRE LACAZETTE AT TRAINING SPECTATORS IN STANDS TRAINING UNDERWAY ARSENAL GOALKEEPER, PETR CECH, SAVING A SHOT DURING TRAINING OLIVIER GIROUD AT TRAINING ARSENAL PLAYERS SEATED FOR NEWS CONFERENCE MEDIA AT NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (English) ARSENAL FORWARD, THEO WALCOTT, SAYING: "Well the fact I haven't heard anything says it all. I'm at Arsenal Football Club this moment in time. There's loads of competition at top quality clubs and I'm continuing to play my football here for now." DANNY WELBECK (L) AND PER MERTESACKER SEATED FRANCIS COQUELIN (L) AND THEO WALCOTT SEATED
- Embargoed: 1st August 2017 16:48
- Keywords: Soccer Bayern Munich Carlo Ancelotti Shanghai Aston Villa Arsenal Arsene Wenger
- Location: SHANGHAI, CHINA
- City: SHANGHAI, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0016Q8ULHB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The future of Arsenal forward Alexis Sanchez was high on the agenda on Tuesday (July 18) as his side prepared to face Bayern Munich in Shanghai.
Sanchez has a year left on his Arsenal contract but his future has been up in the air since the London club failed to qualify for the Champions League for the first time in 20 years.
He has been linked with moves to Paris St Germain and Bayern Munich.
Bayern Munich manager Carlo Ancelotti said there was "not the opportunity" for transfer, while Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger dismissed comparisons to the sale of former forward Robin Van Persie in 2012.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None