- Title: OJ Simpson up for parole, could walk free
- Date: 18th July 2017
- Summary: LONGFORD, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - MAY 14, 1996) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) ****WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** SIMPSON WALKING THROUGH HEATHROW AIRPORT SIMPSON TALKING TO REPORTER
- Embargoed: 1st August 2017 17:29
- Keywords: O.J. Simpson court parole robbery kidnapping Nicole Brown Simpson Ron Goldman
- Location: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA AND LAS VEGAS, NEVADA, UNITED STATES / UNIDENTIFIED LOCATION / LONGFORD, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA AND LAS VEGAS, NEVADA, UNITED STATES / UNIDENTIFIED LOCATION / LONGFORD, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: USA
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Judicial Process/Court Cases/Court Decisions
- Reuters ID: LVA0056Q8WFUV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A parole hearing for O.J. Simpson, serving time in a Nevada prison for a 2008 Las Vegas robbery and kidnapping conviction, is set for Thursday (July 20) in Carson City, Nevada.
The proceeding will mark the second such hearing held for the former football star since he was sentenced to as much as 33 years for his role in a bungled attempt to recover memorabilia from his storied sports career. If granted parole, he will be eligible for release by October 1.
Simpson was acquitted of the June 12, 1994 murder of his wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend, Ron Goldman in the "Trial of the Century" that riveted much of the world, divided Americans sharply along racial lines and ushered in a new age of celebrity journalism.
A civil court jury later found Simpson liable for the deaths and ordered him to pay $33.5 million in damages to the victims' families.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None