- Title: Police at home of arrested Spanish soccer federation head
- Date: 18th July 2017
- Summary: MADRID, SPAIN (JULY 18, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF HOME OF SPANISH SOCCER FEDERATION HEAD, ANGEL MARIA VILLAR MEDIA OUTSIDE COMPLEX VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR OF APARTMENT COMPLEX WHERE VILLAR LIVES MEDIA WAITING OUTSIDE SPANISH POLICE WALKING OUTSIDE CARRYING CARDBOARD BOXES WITH CONTENT TAKEN FROM VILLAR'S HOME POLICE LOADING ITEMS INTO VEHICLE / POLICE DRIVING OFF POLICE VEHICLE CARRYING VILLAR LEAVING COMPLEX
- Embargoed: 1st August 2017 14:30
- Keywords: Spain arrest soccer federation head raid on offices items taken from home
- Location: MADRID, SPAIN
- City: MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0016Q8VW3R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The head of Spain's soccer federation (RFEF) Angel Maria Villar, a FIFA vice president, was arrested on Tuesday (July 18) after a raid on several offices in Madrid and his home as part of an anti-corruption investigation, police said.
Villar, his son - named by Spanish media as Gorka - and several other Spanish soccer federation members were detained on allegations of collusion, fraud and embezzlement, the police said in a statement.
Villar, a one-time midfielder for Athletic Bilbao, has been at the head of the federation for nearly 30 years.
He was fined 25,000 Swiss francs ($26,000) last year by FIFA's Ethics Committee for failing to co-operate with an investigation into the contest to host the 2018 and 2022 World Cups that triggered the worst crisis in the soccer world governing body's history.
The investigation into Villar is already several months old and stems from claims raised by the Spanish state's sports body in early 2016, police said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None