- Title: BBC pays top male star five times more than top woman
- Date: 20th July 2017
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (FILE - FEBRUARY 4, 2012) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** (SOUNDBITE) (English) BBC NEWS PRESENTER HUW EDWARDS TALKING TO CROWD, SAYING: ''We are all in it together, yes, we're all in it together because we are part of a fantastic, proud project.'' EDWARDS WELCOMING CHAIR OF LOCOG (LONDON ORGANISING COMMITTEE FOR THE OLYMPIC GAMES) SEBASTIAN COE ONTO STAGE LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (FILE - NOVEMBER 10, 2016) (REUTERS) BRITISH TV PRESENTER CLAUDIA WINKLEMAN POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS
- Embargoed: 3rd August 2017 07:58
- Keywords: stars BBC Graham Norton Gary Lineker pay presenters Chris Evans Claudia Winkleman television UK
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Television
- Reuters ID: LVA0066QDVGW7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Britain's BBC revealed a yawning gap between the pay of its top male and female stars on Wednesday when the national broadcaster named its highest earners for the first time.
The 95-year-old corporation said Chris Evans, the radio and TV presenter who hosted Top Gear for one series, was top of the list, taking home up to 2.25 million pounds ($3.3 million) in 2016/17.
In contrast, the highest paid woman was entertainment presenter Claudia Winkleman, who earned less than half a million pounds for her work on Strictly Come Dancing and other shows.
The BBC has come under pressure for years to say how much it pays its highest earners and the obligation to name them was part of its latest 10-year funding settlement with the government.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None