- Title: Hong Kong holds memorial for Liu Xiaobo on symbolic 7th day
- Date: 19th July 2017
- Summary: VARIOUS OF MUSICAL ARTISTS SINGING VARIOUS OF MAN LISTENING TO SONG
- Embargoed: 2nd August 2017 16:28
- Keywords: democracy flower offering memorial service empty chair Liu Xiaobo liberties peaceful and anti-violent means flowers symbol of resistance Hong Kong condolence book
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA0046QDUQTJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds gathered at a memorial for the late Nobel Laureate Liu Xiaobo at the Hong Kong harbour front on Wednesday (July 19) evening. Liu died last Thursday (July 13) evening in Chinese custody.
Liu, 61, was jailed for 11 years in 2009 for "inciting subversion of state power" after he helped write a petition known as "Charter 08" that called for sweeping political reforms in China.
Held on the seventh day after his death, the memorial service was a symbolic one where spirits and ghosts visit the family of Liu. White flowers were made as an offering to an empty chair - as Liu was represented at the Nobel Peace prize ceremony for not being able to attend - and a giant poster of Liu.
Hong Kong, with its freedoms guaranteed by the one country two systems constitutional principle, is one of two places on Chinese soil where large-scale public memorial services for Liu have been allowed to occur. Macau had a small memorial for Liu on Sunday (July 16).
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.