- Title: Survivors of London tower block fire berate council
- Date: 19th July 2017
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (JULY 19, 2017) (REUTERS) RESIDENTS ARGUING WITH SECURITY PERSONNEL OVER PEOPLE BEING DENIED ENTRY
- Embargoed: 2nd August 2017 22:13
- Keywords: Grenfell tower fire London fire council council meeting fire Kensington and Chelsea council Grenfell disaster first meeting
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Fires
- Reuters ID: LVA0046QDX8W7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Furious survivors of the London tower block fire that killed at least 80 people booed the new leader of the local authority during chaotic scenes on Wednesday (July 19) at the council's first meeting since the blaze.
About 70 survivors of last month's fire at the Grenfell Tower apartment block and other local residents gathered to protest as councilors met amid tight security at Kensington Town Hall in north London.
The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea council has been criticised by locals and politicians for its slow and ineffective response to the fire while many accuse the authority, which administers one of Britain's wealthiest areas, of having turned its back on social housing.
The election of Elizabeth Campbell as council leader, following the resignation of previous leader Nicholas Paget-Brown, was greeted with cries of "shame on you". Her subsequent speech was repeatedly interrupted by shouts and boos, while some residents who could not get into the meeting banged loudly on the council chamber doors.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None