- Title: Colombia finds two new outbreaks of foot and mouth disease
- Date: 19th July 2017
- Summary: CORDOBA DEPARTMENT, COLOMBIA (FILE) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF GROUP OF COWS IN FIELD
- Embargoed: 2nd August 2017 19:50
- Keywords: Colombia beef exports foot and mouth disease
- Location: BOGOTA, CUNDINAMARCA DEPARTMENT, AND CORDOBA DEPARTMENT, COLOMBIA
- City: BOGOTA, CUNDINAMARCA DEPARTMENT, AND CORDOBA DEPARTMENT, COLOMBIA
- Country: Colombia
- Topics: Commodities Markets,Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA0026QDWT37
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Colombian authorities this week said two new outbreaks of foot and mouth disease were discovered in the central Cundinamarca department. According to the authorities, it was determined that the diseased animals are related to commercial and smuggling activities from Venezuela.
Foot and mouth disease is a highly contagious and sometimes fatal disease affecting hoofed animals such as sheep, goats, cattle, buffalo and pigs, although it is not a direct threat to humans.
Aurelio Iragorri, Colombia's Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, said they would slaughter at least 135 animals, following international standards, then wait for 28 days before applying for a health status renewal.
Mexico's agriculture sanitation authority SENASICA said last week it has suspended all dairy imports from Colombia. Earlier this month, Russia and Curacao, two of Colombia's biggest beef buyers, suspended meat shipments from the Andean nation after an outbreak of the disease.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None