- Title: Swiss glacier yields bodies of couple missing for 75 years
- Date: 19th July 2017
- Summary: MONIQUE GAUTSCHY-DUMOULIN'S MOTHER FRANCINE DUMOULIN'S PICTURE MONIQUE GAUTSCHY-DUMOULIN'S FATHER MARCELLIN DUMOULIN'S PICTURE
- Embargoed: 2nd August 2017 18:12
- Keywords: bodies Swiss couple Marcelin Francine Dumoulin missing couple glacier
- Location: GLACIER 3000, LES DIABLERETS AND SAVIESE, SWITZERLAND
- City: GLACIER 3000, LES DIABLERETS AND SAVIESE, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Switzerland
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents
- Reuters ID: LVA0046QDWPXJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:****EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES****
Swiss police confirmed on Wednesday (July 19) the identity of a Swiss couple whose frozen remains were found on a shrinking glacier last week, and who had been missing for 75 years.
Marcellin and Francine Dumoulin, the parents of seven children, had gone to feed their cattle in a meadow in the Valais canton on August 15, 1942.
Their bodies and belongings including food, a book, umbrella and backpack were found in a hole on Zanfleuron Glacier, on Glacier 3000, by an employee doing maintenance work last Thursday (July 13).
The disappearance of the 40-year-old shoemaker and his 37-year-old wife, a teacher, shocked the region.
All their sons are now dead. One of them spent a great part of his life desperately searching the glacier hoping to find the bodies of his parents.
The two daughters, Monique Gautschy-Dumoulin, 86, and Marceline Udry-Dumoulin, 79, are still alive.
For Monique, who was 11 when her parents went missing and still remembers details of that day, there is little relief in the discovery of their bodies, and the pain of their absence remains strong.
The pair were among 280 people listed as missing in the Alps or rivers of the Valais canton since 1925, according to the police who expect to find more bodies as the glaciers melt.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.