- Title: Venezuelan defence minister condemns â€œinterventionâ€ as U.S. readies sanctions
- Date: 19th July 2017
- Summary: CARACAS, VENEZUELA (JULY 19, 2017) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** GENERAL VIEW OF DEFENCE MINISTER VLADIMIR PADRINO LOPEZ WITH OTHER OFFICIALS DURING NEWS CONFERENCE ARMY OFFICIALS DURING NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) DEFENCE MINISTER VLADIMIR PADRINO LOPEZ SAYING: "I strongly condemn the harmful statements made by the United States (President) Donald Trump who, in an attack against our independence, dares to threaten in a very vile manner the Venezuelan people." ARMY OFFICIALS LISTENING TO NEWS CONFERENCE PHOTOGRAPHER (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) DEFENCE MINISTER VLADIMIR PADRINO LOPEZ SAYING: "I deplore the statement from the (U.S.) Department of State which lacks in format and content any of the normal elements of diplomacy and a pathetic demonstration of improvisation." JOURNALISTS DURING NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) DEFENCE MINISTER VLADIMIR PADRINO LOPEZ SAYING: "I also find very unusual the comments made by the European Union's High Representative for Foreign Affairs Federica Mogherini who has taken on a submissive attitude in regards to the financial and commercial interests from the elitists who govern the United States and who has based herself on propaganda perpetuated by Venezuelan opposition to suspend the National Constituent Assembly." ARMY OFFICIALS DURING NEWS CONFERENCE GENERAL VIEW OF ARMY OFFICIALS HOLDING ARMS UP AND CHANTING
- Embargoed: 2nd August 2017 19:11
- Keywords: Venezuela Minister of Defence sanctions USA crisis
- Location: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- City: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- Country: Venezuela
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016QDX83R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Venezuela's defence minister on Wednesday (July 19) condemned what he called, "gross interference" into Venezuela's internal affairs.
Defence Minister Vladimir Padrino Lopez made the comments during a news conference the day after it was revealed the United States was preparing sanctions against several senior Venezuelan government figures including Padrino.
The Trump administration is trying to pressure Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro to abort plans for a controversial congress foes say would cement dictatorship.
Padrino also said the armed forces would be deployed to protect voting centres as Venezuela vows to hold the controversial vote despite pressure from the U.S., Europe and major South American neighbours.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None