- Title: France's armed forces chief resigns over Macron budget cuts
- Date: 19th July 2017
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (JULY 14, 2017) (AGENCY POOL) FRENCH PRESIDENT EMMANUEL MACRON STEPPING OUT OF CAR AND SHAKING HANDS WITH DE VILLIERS AND OTHER MILITARY PERSONNEL AT BASTILLE DAY CELEBRATIONS / MACRON AND DE VILLIERS MOUNTING MILITARY JEEP / MILITARY JEEP DRIVING OFF VARIOUS OF MACRON AND DE VILLIERS ON MILITARY JEEP ALONG CHAMPS ELYSEES AVENUE
- Embargoed: 2nd August 2017 09:05
- Keywords: Pierre de Villiers resigns Emmanuel Macron head of the armed forces defence budget cuts France
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Defence,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0026QDUHC7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: France's head of the armed forces Pierre de Villiers resigned on Wednesday (July 19), a statement from his office said, days after a public dispute with President Emmanuel Macron over proposed defence budget cuts.
In the statement, de Villiers said he had sought to maintain a French defence force able to do an increasingly difficult job within the financial constraints imposed on it.
The statement said he could no longer guarantee "the robust defence force" necessary to protect France and added that as a result he had tendered his resignation to Macron and that it had been accepted.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None