- Title: Gunmen kill four minority Shi'ite Muslims in southwestern Pakistan
- Date: 19th July 2017
- Summary: VARIOUS OF BLOODIED INTERIOR OF CAR WITH BELONGINGS SCATTERED
- Embargoed: 2nd August 2017 10:17
- Keywords: Pakistanis killed in shooting gunmen kill four Shi'ite Sunni Islam security violence
- Location: MASTUNG, PAKISTAN
- City: MASTUNG, PAKISTAN
- Country: Pakistan
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Insurgencies
- Reuters ID: LVA0026QDUQ11
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: VIDEO QUALITY AS INCOMING
Gunmen on Wednesday (July 19) shot and killed four minority Shi'ite Muslims in southwestern Pakistan, officials said, in an attack that marks a recent uptick in violence in the region.
Three men and a woman of the minority Shi'ite Hazara community were en route to Karachi when four armed men riding on two motorcycles attacked their car on a highway near the provincial capital Quetta, provincial Home Minister Sarfraz Bugti told Reuters.
The district police chief of Mastung, where the attack took place, said it was a militant attack and the Shi'ite were targeted because of their faith. No group has claimed responsibility.
It was the fourth such attack in recent weeks in the volatile Baluchistan province, which borders Afghanistan and Iran. Violence in Baluchistan has raised concern about security for projects in the $57-billion China Pakistan Economic Corridor, a planned transport and energy link from western China to Pakistan's southern deep-water port of Gwadar.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None