- Title: Nations Cup to be expanded and timing changed -CAF
- Date: 19th July 2017
- Summary: LIBREVILLE, GABON (FILE - FEBRUARY 5, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF STADE DE L'AMITIE, VENUE OF 2017 AFRICA CUP OF NATIONS FINAL VARIOUS OF CAMEROON FANS OUTSIDE STADIUM CAMEROON FAN WITH FLAG EGYPT FANS BEATING DRUM AND CHANTING EGYPTIAN FLAGS LIBREVILLE, GABON (FILE - JANUARY 14, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF GABONESE PLAYING SOCCER ON FIELD YAOUNDE, CAMEROON (FILE - FEBRUARY 8, 2017) (REUTERS) CAMEROON PLAYERS WITH AFRICA CUP OF NATIONS TROPHY BEING DRIVEN THROUGH STREETS ALONGSIDE CHEERING FANS FANS CHEERING TEAM VARIOUS OF PLAYERS WITH TROPHY IN MILITARY VEHICLE DURING CELEBRATION PARADE
- Embargoed: 2nd August 2017 15:48
- Keywords: African Cup of Nations expanded tournament tournament switched to summer
- Location: LIBREVILLE, GABON / YAOUNDE, CAMEROON
- City: LIBREVILLE, GABON / YAOUNDE, CAMEROON
- Country: Gabon
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0016QDUYPR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The African Nations Cup finals are set to be expanded to 24 teams and moved to dates in June and July but will continue to be held every two years after recommendations on the tournament at a symposium in Morocco on Wednesday (July 19).
The decision must still be ratified by the Confederation of African Football's executive committee, but that could come as early as Thursday when they meet in Rabat.
The timing of the Nations Cup finals has been contentious as it has been played in January, in the middle of the league season in Europe. The majority of Nations Cup players come from European clubs and increasingly found themselves drawn into a club versus country tug-of-war.
The increase in teams follows the expansion of the European Championship last year, which African observers said had been a success.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None