- Title: Germany summons Turkish ambassador to protest arrests of activists
- Date: 19th July 2017
- Summary: BERLIN, GERMANY (JULY 19, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF REGULAR GOVERNMENT NEWS CONFERENCE WITH SPOKESPEOPLE FROM DIFFERENT GERMAN MINISTRIES (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN FOREIGN MINISTRY SPOKESPERSON, MARTIN SCHAEFER, SAYING: "It was necessary that the Turkish government directly and without any detours receive the outrage and the incomprehension of the German government and the crystal clear expectations and messages connected to it in the case of Peter Steudtner, this time without any diplomatic phrases. That's why the Turkish ambassador was summoned for a talk to the German foreign ministry this morning at the request of Foreign Minister (Sigmar) Gabriel." WIDE OF NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN FOREIGN MINISTRY SPOKESPERSON, MARTIN SCHAEFER, SAYING: "The German government demands the immediate release of Peter Steudtner and immediate unhindered consular access." PHOTOGRAPHERS (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN FOREIGN MINISTRY SPOKESPERSON, MARTIN SCHAEFER, SAYING: "Accusations of connections to terrorist organisations are obviously far-fetched unless one wants to qualify Amnesty International and other human rights organisations as terrorist. That's absurd." REPORTERS LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN FOREIGN MINISTRY SPOKESPERSON, MARTIN SCHAEFER, SAYING: "Foreign Minister Gabriel has decided to interrupt his vacation and to return to Berlin. He will be at the foreign ministry tomorrow morning to discuss what should be done in light of the dramatic intensification of Turkey's action." MESEBERG, GERMANY (RECENT - JULY 13, 2017) (REUTERS) GERMAN CHANCELLOR, ANGELA MERKEL, DURING TRADITIONAL RECEPTION OF DIPLOMATIC CORPS AT GOVERNMENT'S GUEST HOUSE IN MESEBERG NORTH OF BERLIN, SHAKING HANDS WITH TURKEY'S AMBASSADOR TO GERMANY, ALI KEMAL AYDIN
- Embargoed: 2nd August 2017 14:34
- Keywords: Turkey ambassador summoned protest amnesty international foreign ministry arrest
- Location: BERLIN & MESEBERG, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN & MESEBERG, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016QDZ41Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Germany has summoned the Turkish ambassador to protest Ankara's arrest of six human rights activists including a German, a foreign ministry spokesman said on Wednesday (July 19).
Spokesman Martin Schaefer added during a regular government news conference that Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel had interrupted his summer vacation and returned to Berlin for government consultations.
Schaefer said it was "absurd" that Turkey had remanded one of the activists in custody on suspicion of belonging to a terrorist organisation.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None