- Title: Linkin Park singer Bennington dead in apparent suicide -coroner
- Date: 20th July 2017
- Summary: ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** LINKIN PARK MEMBERS POSING FOR PHOTOS
- Embargoed: 3rd August 2017 20:24
- Keywords: Linkin Park Chester Bennington Death
- Location: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES/LAS VEGAS, NEVADA, UNITED STATES
- City: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES/LAS VEGAS, NEVADA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Music
- Reuters ID: LVA0046QIX2DJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: PLEASE NOTE: EDIT CONTAINS CONVERTED 4:3 MATERIAL
Chester Bennington, the lead singer of rock band Linkin Park, was found dead on Thursday (July 20) at his southern California home in an apparent suicide, the Los Angeles County Coroner's office said.
Coroner's office spokesman Brian Elias said his office had been notified by law enforcement of the death of Bennington, 41, on Thursday morning. Elias said the death was being handled as an apparent suicide.
Celebrity website TMZ, citing law enforcement sources, said Bennington had hung himself at his Palos Verdes home near Los Angeles.
Representatives of the band did not immediately return calls for comment.
Bennington had a history of alcohol and drug abuse. He had spoken openly in the past about his struggles to overcome his demons when Linkin Park first found success in 2000 with the album "Hybrid Theory." But in 2011 he said he had been sober for six years.
The band's latest studio album, "One More Light," was released in May, and Linkin Park embarked on a world tour.
Bennington's death came a week before the band was due to kick off the U.S. leg of its tour on July 27 in Mansfield, Massachusetts.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.