- Title: Iraqi forces hunt for hidden Islamic State fighters in Mosul
- Date: 20th July 2017
- Summary: WEST MOSUL, IRAQ (JULY 20, 2017) (REUTERS) STREET LINED WITH PILES OF RUBBLE AND DEMOLISHED BUILDINGS STREET COVERED WITH RUBBLE OF DAMAGED BRICKS, HUMVEE DRIVING ALONG HEAP OF RUBBLE OF DEMOLISHED BUILDINGS AND WRECKAGE OF CAR DEMOLISHED BUILDINGS (AUDIO: GUNFIRE) RUBBLE OF DEMOLISHED BUILDING VARIOUS OF DAMAGED AL-HADBA MINARET (PART OF AL-NURI MOSQUE) VARIOUS OF DAMAGED AL-NURI MOSQUE (AUDIO OF GUNFIRE) IRAQI SECURITY FORCES CONDUCTING FOOT PATROL IRAQI FORCES OF COUNTER-TERRORISM SERVICE (CTS) ENTERING HOUSE FOR SEARCH (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) COUNTER-TERRORISM SERVICE COMMANDER, BRIGADIER FALAH AL-OBEIDI, SAYING: "Iraqi forces, and specifically forces of the Counter Terrorism Service, have started an operation to hunt for (Islamic State) cells and search for militants who might have crossed from other areas and mingled with the civilians. The operations are intended to assure the civilians that the security forces are here to protect them, and you can see people in markets leading a normal life." CTS MEMBER GOING UP STAIRS OF HOUSE VARIOUS OF CTS MEMBERS SEARCHING HOUSE CTS OFFICER CHECKING MAN'S IDENTIFICATION PAPERS IDENTIFICATION DOCUMENTS IN HANDS OF CTS OFFICER CTS MEMBERS GOING DOWN STAIRS AFTER SEARCH CTS MEMBERS WALKING OUT OF HOUSE AND INTO STREET VARIOUS OF CTS MEMBERS INSIDE HOUSE MACHINE GUN IN MAN'S HANDS CTS MEMBERS GOING OUT OF HOUSE AND WALKING INTO ANOTHER CHILDREN STANDING IN STREET (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) RESIDENT OF WEST MOSUL, ABU MAHMOUD, SAYING: "We had been living in fear. We were even afraid that if we slept, we would not wake up. Now, we sleep deeply." (JOURNALIST ASKING: "How is life now?") "Life now is very good, thank God, but we still lack services like water and electricity." PEOPLE GATHERED IN STREET (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) RESIDENT OF WEST MOSUL, ABU AHMED, SAYING: "It is paradise. We eat everything and we drink everything and we do what we want. Everything is available at a reasonable price. We had suffered a lot. We had been trapped in the Old City for three months with no basic needs." GIRL AND WOMEN BUYING GROCERIES BOXES OF VEGETABLES BARBER CUTTING BOY'S HAIR PEOPLE AT BARBER SHOP WOMEN AND BOYS WALKING ALONG STREET
- Embargoed: 3rd August 2017 20:45
- Keywords: Iraq Mosul Islamic State Mosul searching houses ISIL fighters hidden life after ISIL house to house searches
- Location: WEST MOSUL, IRAQ
- City: WEST MOSUL, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA0016QIX747
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Iraqi forces have starting house-to-house searches in districts near Mosul's Old City in the hunt for the Islamic State sleeper cells, a military commander said on Thursday (July 20).
Members of Iraq's elite Counter Terrorism Services (CTS) searched rooms and cupboards and checked identification documents to flush out any remaining Islamists.
CTS Brigadier Falah al-Obeidi said that the operations were meant to assure the people that the forces are there to protect them in the first place.
Civilians of Mosul for their part said every day life has improved, even though whole neighbourhoods of Iraq's second city are reduced to the crumpled ruins of what were once homes and businesses, with much of the destruction due to strikes carried out by the U.S.-led coalition.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None