- Title: Dali's alleged daughter says exhumation brings her peace
- Date: 20th July 2017
- Summary: MADRID, SPAIN (FILE) (FILE - APRIL 25, 2013) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF DALI PORTRAIT PHOTOGRAPHS
- Embargoed: 3rd August 2017 20:23
- Keywords: Salvador Dali paternity test exhumation The Persistence of Memory Gala Pilar Abel Dali's alleged daughter grave
- Location: MADRID AND BARCELONA, SPAIN, PARIS, FRANCE AND NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: MADRID AND BARCELONA, SPAIN, PARIS, FRANCE AND NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Judicial Process/Court Cases/Court Decisions
- Reuters ID: LVA0026QIWKZR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS NOTE: EDIT CONTAINS CONVERTED 4:3 MATERIAL
Pilar Abel, who claims she is the daughter of Salvador Dali, said on Thursday (June 20) she was overcome by a feeling of peace as the exhumation of the artist remain's got underway in Figueras, northeastern Spain.
Forensic scientists and legal experts began taking DNA samples from the embalmed body of Spanish surrealist artist after 20:00 local time (18:00 GMT) to try to resolve a paternity claim.
Abel, who was born in 1956 in the northern Spanish town of Figueras - Dali's home town and the place he is buried - claims her mother had an affair with the painter and has been trying to prove she is his daughter for years.
Dali's remains are interred in a crypt under the stage of the domed Theatre-Museum in Figueras, which houses some of his art works and paintings he collected.
It may take weeks before the results of the DNA tests are known.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.