- Title: Explosions, wounded in Jerusalem's Old City during Muslims' protest
- Date: 20th July 2017
- Summary: JERUSALEM (JULY 20, 2017) (REUTERS) EXPLOSIONS IN JERUSALEM'S OLD CITY ALLEYWAYS, CROWD OF MUSLIMS PROTESTING AGAINST ISRAELI SECURITY MEASURES AROUND TEMPLE MOUNT-HOLY SANCTUARY COMPOUND, RUNNING AWAY MAN LEADING ELDERLY MAN AWAY, CROWD CHANTING 'GOD IS GREATEST' MAN WALKING AWAY HOLDING HIS HEAD ISRAELI BORDER POLICEMEN BEATING MAN, REUTERS CAMERAMAN MEN CARRYING WOUNDED ON STRETCHER ISRAELI SECURITY MEN ON ROOFTOP OVERLOOKING CROWD IN ALLEYWAY CHANTING 'GOD IS GREATEST' VARIOUS OF ISRAELI SECURITY MEN FIRING STUN AND SMOKE GRENADES AT DISPERSING CROWD OF PROTESTERS PARAMEDICS CARRYING WOUNDED ON STRETCHER MORE OF CROWD VARIOUS OF PARAMEDICS CARRYING WOUNDED PARAMEDICS LEAVING WOUNDED ON BENCH, STUN GRENADE EXPLODING NEAR WOUNDED ISRAELI BORDER POLICEMEN MORE OF SECURITY MEN CLASHING WITH PROTESTERS, STUN GRENADES EXPLODING VARIOUS OF CROWD DISPERSING, EXPLOSIONS CROWD LEAVING OLD CITY PARAMEDICS ESCORTING MAN MEN CARRYING WOUNDED ON STRETCHER SECURITY MEN DISPERSING PROTESTERS POLICEMAN RIDING A HORSE TO DISPERSE CROWD
- Embargoed: 3rd August 2017 20:30
- Keywords: Jerusalem Al-Aqsa Muslims protest Muslim anger Israeli security measures
- Location: JERUSALEM
- City: JERUSALEM
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016QIX35Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Twenty Muslim protesters were wounded during a demonstration in Jerusalem's Old City against Israel's security measures on Thursday (July 20), Palestinian medics said, following a deadly attack at a Jerusalem holy site last week.
There have been nightly confrontations between Palestinians hurling rocks and Israeli police using stun grenades in Israeli-annexed East Jerusalem since metal detectors were placed on Sunday at entrances to the Temple Mount-Noble Sanctuary compound.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Thursday considered removing the metal detectors after their installation after they stirred up Palestinian protests and threats of escalation.
Tensions were high ahead of Friday prayers when thousands of Muslims usually flock to al-Aqsa mosque, Islam's third holiest shrine, in the compound above Judaism's sacred Western Wall.
On July 14, three Arab-Israeli gunmen shot dead two Israeli policemen outside the Temple Mount-Noble Sanctuary complex in one of the most serious attacks in the area for years. The assailants were killed by security forces.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None