- Title: Clashes break out during 24-hour strike
- Date: 20th July 2017
- Summary: VARIOUS OF PEOPLE SINGING THE VENEZUELAN NATIONAL ANTHEM IN A BANK VARIOUS OF A MAN PLAYING THE VIOLIN IN THE BANK
- Embargoed: 3rd August 2017 18:04
- Keywords: Nicolas Maduro opposition 24-hour national strike shutdown
- Location: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- City: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- Country: Venezuela
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0026QIW18N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Clashes broke out in Caracas on Thursday (July 20) as the opposition launched a 24-hour national strike against President Nicolas Maduro to demand a presidential election and the abandonment of a plan for a new congress they fear would institute dictatorship.
Water cannon were deployed and police launched tear gas at demonstrators scattered throughout the city erecting roadblocks.
Many businesses closed and many private transport groups heeded the strike call, while students, neighbors and activists hauled rubbish and furniture into streets to form barriers. In a bank, patrons spontaneously broke into song, singing Venezuela's national anthem.
Four months of anti-government unrest have killed about 100 people, injured thousands, left hundreds in jail and further damaged an economy in its fourth year of a debilitating decline.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.