- Title: Comic fans get immersed in personal fantasies
- Date: 21st July 2017
- Summary: VARIOUS MONSTER BONES
- Embargoed: 4th August 2017 00:59
- Keywords: Cosplay San Diego Comic-Con comics fans San Diego Convention Center immersive experiences
- Location: SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- City: SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Film,Human Interest / Brights / Odd News
- Reuters ID: LVA0036QIXM55
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:From the dragons of Westeros and the "Walking Dead" zombies to the deadly humanoid robots of "Westworld," the golden age of television is dominating the limelight at San Diego's annual Comic-Con.
Kicking off on Thursday (July 20), this year's four-day Comic-Con gathering of nerd and pop culture fans will see fewer films being marketed by movie studios, which are instead focusing more narrowly on projects that tie directly into the interests of the convention's fandom.
Meanwhile, numerous hit sci-fi television shows have garnered avid viewers and Emmy nominations, and can drum up buzz for upcoming seasons with an already engaged fanbase.
Drawing more than 100,000 attendees, Comic-Con has become an increasingly important tool for Hollywood to generate interest in upcoming projects.
Yet this year, only three major Hollywood film studios - Fox, Warner Bros and Disney - and newcomer Netflix will hold panels for upcoming movies, a vast difference from five years ago when movies dominated the buzz from the convention.
The fandom of Comic-Con attendees is what drove organizers in 2012 to give medieval fantasy "Game of Thrones," zombie drama "The Walking Dead" and nerd comedy "The Big Bang Theory" a coveted spot at Comic-Con's prestigious Hall H.
The 6,500-capacity hall is usually reserved for movie studios bringing in A-list talent, and fans often sleep outside overnight to gain access.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None