- Title: Comic fans get immersed in personal fantasies
- Date: 21st July 2017
- Summary: SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (JULY 20, 2017) (REUTERS) SAN DIEGO CONVENTION CENTER VARIOUS OF COMIC-CON SIGN CROWDS ARRIVING MAN IN COSTUME VARIOUS COSPLAYERS (SOUNDBITE) (English) COSPLAY FAN, NANCY BROWN-MATTIACE, SAYING: "It gives you a way to express your inner nerd in a way that's very safe, like there's not going to be people looking at you like 'What?' and you can come half-dressed like a lot of characters are in games but it's like a whole bunch of different cultures. You can dress up from like Asian cultures or African cultures or any other culture and nobody's going to judge you for it." MAN WITH COSPLAYERS MAN DRESSED AS A RAGGY DOLL (SOUNDBITE) (English) COSPLAY FAN, RYAN HOUSTON, SAYING: "Honestly depending on what kind of genres you like or artists you dig. For me, I love seeing artists. I know a lot of people love seeing actors but that's absolutely the best part of it." COSPLAYERS (SOUNDBITE) (English) UNIDENTIFIED COSPLAY FAN, SAYING: "So I'm the butter bot from Rick and Morty and it's a little bit bulky and the straps on my shoulders keep coming off and it's a little bit hard to see but otherwise I'm really happy." COSPLAYERS (SOUNDBITE) (English) COSPLAY FAN, CHEYENNE HERNANDEZ, SAYING: "Almost like what the nerd community is like, we're not all nerds, we all like different things but it gives an open view of comic books, games, arcade games, video games, you name it, it's here and it gives an open view of that and that's pretty cool." (SOUNDBITE) (English) COSPLAY FAN, ROBERTA FOSS, SAYING: "We might hook up with some new Avengers, we heard that the Black Panther might be here. I heard that there might be a really cute Spider-Man." VARIOUS PEOPLE IN COSPLAY FANS ENTERING HALL H CONVENTION FLOOR VARIOUS PEOPLE IN COSPLAY PEOPLE IN LINE BLADE RUNNER 2049 EXPERIENCE SIGN VARIOUS OF BLADE RUNNER 2049 EXPERIENCE GAME OF THRONES SIGN VARIOUS OF PEOPLE BEING PUT IN SEQUENCE IN GAME OF THRONES MAN SWINGING SWORD SCREEN OF VIDEOS
- Embargoed: 4th August 2017 00:59
- Keywords: Cosplay San Diego Comic-Con comics fans San Diego Convention Center immersive experiences
- Location: SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- City: SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Film,Human Interest / Brights / Odd News
- Reuters ID: LVA0016QIXM55
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:From the dragons of Westeros and the "Walking Dead" zombies to the deadly humanoid robots of "Westworld," the golden age of television is dominating the limelight at San Diego's annual Comic-Con.
Kicking off on Thursday (July 20), this year's four-day Comic-Con gathering of nerd and pop culture fans will see fewer films being marketed by movie studios, which are instead focusing more narrowly on projects that tie directly into the interests of the convention's fandom.
Meanwhile, numerous hit sci-fi television shows have garnered avid viewers and Emmy nominations, and can drum up buzz for upcoming seasons with an already engaged fanbase.
Drawing more than 100,000 attendees, Comic-Con has become an increasingly important tool for Hollywood to generate interest in upcoming projects.
Yet this year, only three major Hollywood film studios - Fox, Warner Bros and Disney - and newcomer Netflix will hold panels for upcoming movies, a vast difference from five years ago when movies dominated the buzz from the convention.
The fandom of Comic-Con attendees is what drove organizers in 2012 to give medieval fantasy "Game of Thrones," zombie drama "The Walking Dead" and nerd comedy "The Big Bang Theory" a coveted spot at Comic-Con's prestigious Hall H.
The 6,500-capacity hall is usually reserved for movie studios bringing in A-list talent, and fans often sleep outside overnight to gain access.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None